Sandy Carter: Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) -- Off the Record
SOASOA 060000JRQN 822 Views
Just a few of the press articles hitting the wire!
InfoWorld - IBM addressing beginner, advanced SOA needs InfoWorld
Internet News: IBM Says No to 'Monolithic, Unchangeable Environments' Internet News
CNET - IBM tailors SOA lineup for specific industries CNET
Just a few to date!!!! Happy Launch Reading!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 805 Views
1. What are you announcing today? A. IBM is acquiring Webify Solutions, Inc., a leading provider of industry-specific SOA software and services. Webify is a privately-held company, formed in 2002. The company is headquartered in Austin, TX, with a development lab in Mumbai, India. Webify has approximately 120 employees.
2. When did IBM close this deal?A. This deal closed on August 1, 2006.
3. What was the purchase price?A. We are not disclosing the purchase price.
4. Why did IBM acquire Webify? A. IBM has acquired Webify for its market leading industry-focused SOA software and services. Webify can accelerate the delivery of SOA composite business applications based on pre-built, customizable SOA assets, semantic models and policies. IBM Software Group and IBM Global Services will use Webify’s capabilities to enable clients to more quickly and flexibly create SOA applications that can be composed primarily from existing assets. Webify complements and extends IBM’s SOA software portfolio, including WebSphere Integration Developer, WebSphere Process Server, and the WebSphere Service Registry and Repository. Webify has received significant industry recognition, most recently receiving two prestigious awards from ACORD, the Global Standards Association for the Insurance Industry.
5. What are the customer requirements that drove this acquisition?A. Clients want the ability to reuse existing assets in flexible SOA applications that can be built and changed quickly. Clients also require SOA applications that are focused on their specific industries. SOA is about reuse, and Webify takes reuse to the next level by putting it in an industry-specific context. Applications built using SOA principles and Webify technology can be assembled, deployed and changed with significantly less time and resources than traditional applications. Customers have asked us to provide the linkage from SOA to their specific industries, and the acquisition of Webify is the continuation of a significant commitment by IBM in that direction.
6. How does this acquisition allow IBM Software and Services to jointly serve clients?A. This is a unique acquisition for IBM – not just software, not just services, but both. Webify allows IBM to serve clients better by pooling the SOA-related efforts of several groups - Software Group, Global Business Services, Global Technology Services, and the Global Business Solution Center.
IBM Software Group will gain the Webify middleware technology, which extends IBM’s existing SOA Foundation and complements IBM’s SOA Lifecycle and Industry Solutions. IBM Global Services will gain Webify’s existing portfolio of SOA composite business services, as well as its methodology for creating new composite business services. Within IGS, Global Business Services (GBS) intends to provide service engagements based on existing Webify industry content and newly developed industry content. IBM’s recently announced Global Business Solution Center (GBSC) intends to create new composite business services. Global Technology Services (GTS) plans to host and provision existing and newly developed composite business services.
7. What industries are currently covered by Webify?A. Most of Webify’s current customers are in the Insurance and Healthcare industries. Development is currently underway for SOA composite business services in Banking, Telecom, and Public Sector. IBM plans to extend this development across a wide variety of industries. The Global Business Solution Center in India will have the lead role in the development of new SOA composite business services.
8. What is the Global Business Solution Center?A. The Global Business Solution Center in India, which was announced in March 2006, has the primary role within IBM for developing new SOA solution assets, such as the composite business services that are enabled by Webify middleware.
9. What do Webify products do?A. Webify provides middleware tools and runtimes for assembling and deploying industry-specific SOA composite applications. The software includes a wide variety of industry-specific content, including the ability to perform semantic mediation. This semantic mediation capability can significantly speed up the process of providing solutions for industry standards such as ACORD, HIPAA, SWIFT, IAA, HL7, XBRL, FIXML and eTOM, to name just a few. Webify’s industry content also includes business process models, product catalogs (insurance industry products, for example), industry message sets, pre-built Web services assertions, interfaces to third party industry services, and pre-built interoperability with the IBM adaptor portfolio.
10. Why did IBM buy Webify instead of one of its competitors?A. Webify is recognized as having the industry-leading SOA software and services focused on vertical markets.
11. How does the Webify technology extend the IBM SOA development and runtime capabilities? A. Webify extends and complements IBM’s existing SOA Foundation by adding an industry-specific layer that supports semantic mediation. The semantic and industry standards supported by Webify are those that are important to our clients in those industries. Current industry support is for Insurance and Healthcare, with Banking, Telecom and Public Sector in development. Support will be broadened to cover numerous additional industries. Current semantic and industry standards that are supported include ACORD, HIPAA, SWIFT, WS-I, IAA, HL7, XBRL, FIXML and eTOM.
Semantic mediation increases the industry awareness and focus of SOA composite applications. Webify allows for the concept of business context to be dynamically applied to SOA services. This creates a new pattern of business-aware SOA services that focus on line of business execution, rather than technology limitations. This technology can allow development teams to more accurately and efficiently deliver SOA development in alignment with a line of business vision. The Webify runtime extends IBM’s middleware with semantic awareness and the dynamic binding of services, which can allow for a more efficient use of services and a reduction in the quantity of services required.
12. What are IBM’s plans for the products acquired with Webify? A. IBM plans to invest in, support, market and sell the Webify middleware portfolio under the WebSphere brand name. The Webify products continue to be sold as-is and without disruption today. In the coming weeks, IBM will announce the rebranded, renamed, and repackaged versions of the Webify products. IBM is also acquiring from Webify a set of SOA composite business services for specific business areas, such as Claims Lifecycle in the Insurance industry. These composite business services will be used by IBM Global Services to help speed the delivery of mission-critical industry applications to clients.
13. Does IBM intend to further develop the Webify products? What is the roadmap plan for these products? A. Yes. IBM recognizes that industry-focused applications are key to the future of SOA. IBM will further develop and integrate these products, based on the needs of the market.
14. How does IBM intend to price these products? A. Initial pricing will be based on the existing Webify pricing model. Further pricing decisions will be announced as the platform is rebranded. More information and announcements on the topic is expected to be available in late 2006 and 2007.
15. How will the Webify portfolio be branded? A. The Webify middleware will be branded as IBM WebSphere. IBM Global Business Services will use an additional set of assets, Webify’s SOA composite business services, as part of their engagements and the assets that they provide to their clients. Additional information will be made available in the coming weeks. IBM Global Technology Services will provide hosting and provisioning for Webify composite business services.
16. What challenges do you see in integrating Webify with IBM?A. We see no significant problems or challenges with this integration. Webify has been built on and optimized for IBM technology.
SOASOA 060000JRQN 798 Views
Gang... I wanted to make you aware of our SOA Newsletter for customers!! It has great customer stories that you may want to read through! Here are two links (reg and front page -- front page to refresh later today to current July issue):
It’s free – Register!
Check out a sample! July Sample
Have a great weekend!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 794 Views
I am in Warsaw Poland! What a great place I had the chance to visit a little of the city. The Old Town is on the World Hertitage Site listing. During the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944, more than 85% of Warsaw's historic centre was destroyed by Nazi troops. It was rebuilt in 5 years using pictures to recreate the same feel and design. Pretty amazing!!!! Check it out here.....
But I am not here to tour but to learn about the business. Here is what I learned!
1) Poland growth is amazing and is growing faster that I expected! According to E&Y 2008, Poland is the most attractive location for investments in Europe!
2) The people are extremely talented -- and skilled! I was super impressed -- especially with the IBM and the IBM Business Partners!
3) SOA is becoming hot here --- it is now moving from education stage to let's get started!
Overall, the Poland team was amazing and the market is tremendous!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 792 Views
Cape Horn is one of the most beautiful cities in the world! And they are also embracing SOA in their growth!
For instance, the Professional Provident Society (PPS) is a South African provider of insurance products to a highly-specialized market: graduate professionals such as doctors and lawyers. The company has been in existence since 1941 and is a leader in its niche. They wanted to improve their ability to bring new products to market in order to respond to changing customer demands and stiffening competition.
PPS replaced all of its legacy systems with a completely new, modular application infrastructure based on the principles of the IBM Insurance Application Architecture (IAA) which is based on SOA. The common IAA-based platform unified several previously disparate policy systems.
This solution has enabled PPS to bring nine new insurance products to market in less than one year, allowed rapid modification of new products in response to competitor actions, reduced application development costs by 50 percent, decreased audit findings by approximately 80 percent, eliminated more than 90 percent of system code, and significantly improved controls for collecting premiums.
Awesome results for South Afrcia!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 792 Views
On the twelfth month of Chrismas, my true love gave to me.
Twelve months of great SOA marketshare! Wintergreen Report: Wintergreen shows IBM #1 marketshare leader in SOA in 2005!
Eleven chapters written I fulfilled one of my "Top 100 Things in Life" by completing my 1st book on what else? SOA! Check it out at
Ten SOA Summits Yep, 10 SOA Summits! (Dubai, Prague, Tokyo, London, Beijing, Frankfurt, Toronto, NY & Dallas (yes, Dallas is a country!) and Rome!
Nine screws in Sandy's Ankle (which was getting her to the SOA scene) Sandy broke her ankle in February and had 9 screws and a plate inserted to heal it.
Eight games a playin' We have a cool internal SOA Game and have you been to Second Life? We are launching an SOA Land in December!! Stay tuned!!!
Seven great SOA movie reviews!! And our own DVD coming out soon! Have you seen it?
Six Kicks for Orange Belt My daughter loves Tae Kwon Do and is due to get her orange belt in December. It is giving her strength, self confidence, and fun and of course, gives her energy to study her SOA!
Five SOA Entry Points People, Process, and Information. And Reuse and connectivity!!! Four thousand students in the SOA contest in China!! And bylines...check them out!
Three quartesr of great SOA growth! “We had a great quarter.”.. “Our advanced new technologies, such as SOA ... are resonating well with customers. These technologies form the underpinnings of more integrated solutions – incorporating IBM software, services and hardware. This quarter, our software results once again reflected strong demand for products deploying SOAs.” Mark Loughridge, IBM Senior VP and CFO "IBM Q3 2006 Earnings"
2 (Touchee) to our SOA China Contest Winners!! Congrats to Blackstone our SOA contest winner from a key China University!
And wonderful bloggers!! Thanks for reading my BLOG!!![Read More]
SOASOA 060000JRQN 778 Views
Just last week, we announced the results of a survey of clients that concludes the strategic decisions to adopt a SOA are shifting away from the realm of IT staffers to business executives. The survey was conducted by the Link Group and consisted of a sampling of clients at our IBM IMPACT event held in Orlando.
The survey validates a fundamental commitment to SOA as the future of process and application design - with both significant increases in budgets and the number of SOA projects aimed at new business challenges.
The survey also found that there is an increasing need for training staff so they possess the unique combination of both business and IT skills required for a business to realize the potential of SOA.
The survey also revealed that 67% of the respondents said the key decision makers responsible for moving to an SOA strategy are business leaders including C-level executives and business managers. And 65% of clients said that business leaders are also primarily responsible for selecting an IT partner to help achieve business goals in an SOA.
I am seeing this around the world -- not quite in 90 days -- but seeing this in spades in multiple countries!
I just arrived home from Beijing China. For IMPACT 2007 in China, we had 1340 attendees! I'll share more on all the events around the world!
But in the meantime, what do you think about these survey results? Do you see this happening in your company?[Read More]
SOASOA 060000JRQN 759 Views
SOASOA 060000JRQN 744 Views
The Full Article
You could say that behind every successful service-oriented architecture is a CEO. With its promise of using existing technology to more closely align information technology with business goals, SOAs have proven to help companies realize greater efficiencies, cost savings and productivity. Still, as many IT managers have learned, without executive endorsement, an SOA will be relegated to the confines of IT as opposed to being recognized as an organization-wide business strategy. While no two organizations are exactly alike, there are consistent themes that arise -- and pitfalls to avoid -- when aiming for approval to build an SOA. For those many IT leaders who are facing the seemingly daunting challenge of presenting the importance and value of an SOA strategy to the executive suite, following are ten tips for selling SOA to the CEO. 1. Don't call it SOA: explain the value and benefits in business terms that reflect the organization's goals -- such as cost reduction, productivity, competitive advantage, etc. -- before diving into a technical conversation.2. Vision, not version: outline the immediate and long-term results from this strategy while avoiding discussions about specific version numbers.3. Build consensus throughout the company: prove the value of SOA through small test projects conducted with volunteer departments in the organization. Make sure to include those department leaders when you later roll out the SOA. 4. Start small yet live large: when selecting those small test projects, choose to integrate and automate those business processes that can have the most widespread, positive impact across the organization. 5. Ixnay on the TLA: while it's easy to get caught up in the technical jargon that is fully understood among peers, remember that three letter acronyms (TLA) can sound as eloquent as pig Latin when trying to convince your CEO of a major new strategic undertaking. 6. Get to the powerful points: without relying on complex slides that can deter from the true purpose of the meeting. 7. Conviction and prediction: articulate goals for each step along the SOA path. By publicly stating and achieving realistic goals for the organization based on an SOA -- increasing productivity or decreasing costs by XX percent -- you can bolster confidence in the project and overall strategy.8. Reference third party validation: cite analyst data on the growth and adoption of service oriented architectures and point to relevant SOA success stories within your industry (and by your competitors). 9. The close: SOA what? Outline specific before-and-after scenarios of the impact of SOA on your particular organization to help disarm any naysayer and gain CEO approval.10. Qualify and quantify: set goals, track performance and refine methodologies at every step along the way. Be sure to share the results with interested parties on a regular basis to demonstrate the success of your company's SOA journey.The opportunity to evangelize SOA to company executives is rare. To make the most of your extended elevator pitch, remember to articulate business benefits, reiterate bottom line results and illustrate the company-wide value of an SOA.
SOASOA 060000JRQN 742 Views
I am here at the Gartner IT Expo which is always held in Orlando Florida. Yesterday we unveiled our newest SOA announcements for BPM. Jim Hanley, from Harley .
Jim Haney, their CIO and biggest buyer of Harley's clothesline, outlined his challenges as a fairly new executive at Harley! His challenges were around the business challenges...his business needed to steamline their key business processes, provide quicker access to information, and basically make it easy to do business with. This sounds very simliar to alot of customers that I talk with daily! And simliar to the CIO conference where the challenge to CIOs was to become more linked to the business and become Chief Innovation Officiers!
Using the SOA approach, Jim has seen some amazing results at Harley -- one of my favorite brands! He was able to present a “business process” lens to his users, provide more business flexibility through loosely coupled integration, and lowered his costs through faster delivery of capabilities through reuse and common process component.
His closing top 3 points were....Run the IT like a business, Protect the Brand and Instill trust………AND……Invest in your people....
This is similar to Gartner's keynote and focus on people. Interesting way to kick off the conference...Discussion occured around...Aging baby boomers that must nurture next generation.. VERSATILISTS.. multi talented professionals who will likely not be the same mix as the people around the table today. The impact of Geographic diversification (offshore outsourcing)...etc
The bottom line....Accept the VERSATILISTS .. change focus & culture of your IT organization… REPROGRAM THE IT CULTURE!
Identify what kills ideas stone dead… We tried that didn’t work Consultant speak I could have done that in cobol..
Well, that's enough for now!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 737 Views
SOASOA 060000JRQN 717 Views
Hey! I just arrived back from St Thomas and had a wonderful time! I took my daughter to Cokki Beach and Trunk Bay for some awesome snorkeling!!! It was her first time and the excitement in seeing those fish was amazing! She of course laughed and leaked in a lot of water. Too funny but the energy and amazement made me realize there is more to life than SOA!!
Thanks for the great response on the SOA for dummies book! Keep the emails and requests coming in!
More exciting news on SOA later this week!
Here's to vacations, sand, and turquoise waters!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 713 Views
I just got back from a multiple country visits and conferences!
SOA around the world is amazing!! I was just in front of audiences in Madrid, Paris, Athens, Venice, Mumbai, Beijing, Tokoyo and more.
I will try to summarize my insights from each!!!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 712 Views
I love pearls from Japan. After I landed in Narita, I immediately went to visit my friend Jane Yonamine for a look at the latest Pearl styles! She has such awesome merchandise and her husband was the first man of color to play for the San Francisco 49ers! Check out her store ... Click Here For Real Pearls . Although I always go and see Jane, her pearls are not the only pearls I check out here!
Tomorrow we will have Pearls of Wisdom about SOA at the Japan SOA summit. There are over 400 customers attending and there will be 12 customer speakers from top companies like Yanmar, Nissan, Hokkaido Cultural Broadcasting, Sumitomo Trust and Banking, NTT Communications, and Asahi Kasei Medical. At this conference, we will make 2 announcements -- stay tuned and I'll post the information tomorrow.
I am sitting here with Anu Ahuja and Sachiko Tsuchiya-San and they just shared with me that in Japan, IBM is very well recognized as the market leader in SOA. According to Gartner (Gartner's IT Demand Survey Report from May of 2006), IBM was chosen as the leader of all vendors as the company they want to work with around SOA engagements. This is a powerful recommmendation of IBM as the vendor of Choice for SOA. And Anu and Sachiko continued with the good news. IBM GBS was the leading consulting firm that companies count on for their SOA adoption!
Well, more from Japan tomorrow - and then its off to China!
SOASOA 060000JRQN 710 Views
It's been eight months since the publication of my book on SOA, "The New Language of Business: SOA and Web 2.0." During that time it has become one of the best-selling IBM books. I've really enjoyed hearing from those of you who have read it. Thank you for all your comments - and please keep them coming!
One thing I do hear is where people can order the book. It's available online at the IBM Press Website or on Amazon - so check it out!
OR use this URL for the buyer to access the book quickly without searching for it.visit Quick Direct Hit
IBMers can order a copy of the Full book or Mini book directly and receive a 35% discount through the IBM Press Website using the coupon code: CARTER654X and ISBNs: 013195654X - The New Language of Business, during the checkout process (promotion available until end of October 2007). Bulk orders are available at a 65% discount rate. Order your copy today! IBM Press Booksvisit IBM Press Books
Also, please feel free to email Anindo Dey
Happy Reading! Sandy[Read More]