IBM Power Virtualization Performance (PowerVP) for Power Systems is a new product that offersa graphics performance view into PowerVM virtualized environment. It is capable of showing which virtual workloads are using specific physical resources on an IBM Power Systems server.
PowerVP is a solution that helps reduce time and complexity to find out and display performance bottlenecks. It presents to an administrator a simple dashboard showing the performance health of the system. It can help simplify both prevention and troubleshooting and thus reduce the cost of performance management.
It has the following major features:
- Shows workloads in real-time with highlighting of possible problems or bottlenecks (overcommitted resources)
- Helps better utilize virtualized IBM Power Servers by showing distribution of load
- Is able to replay saved historical data
- Helps with the resolution of performance related issues
- Helps to proactively address coming issues
PowerVP is integrated with the PowerVM Hypervisor and collects performance data directly from PowerVM Hypervisor, which offers the most accurate performance information about virtual machines running on IBM Power Systems. This performance information is displayed on a real-time, continuous GUI dashboard and is also available historically for review.
Features of PowerVP include:
- Real-time, continuous graphical monitor (dashboard) that delivers an easy-to-read display showing the overall performance health of the Power server.
- Customizable performance thresholds that enables you to customize the display to match your monitoring requirements.
- Historical statistics that enables you to go back in time and replay performance data sequences to find out performance bottlenecks.
- System-level performance views that show all LPARs (Virtual Machines) and how they are using real system resources.
- Virtual Machine drill-down, which gives you more performance details for each Virtual Machine, displaying detailed information on various resources like CPU, memory, and disk activity
- Support for all Virtual Machine types including AIX, IBM system i, and Linux Background data collection, which enables performance data to be collected when the GUI is not active.
PowerVP even allows an administrator to drill down and view specific adapter, bus or CPU usage. An administrator can see the hardware adapters and how much load is placed on them. PowerVP provides both an overall and detailed view of IBM Power Server hardware such as that it is easy to see how Virtual Machines are consuming resources.
Prerequisites for PowerVP:
- IBM POWER7+ D models and some POWER7 C models and newer
- Firmware level 770, 780 or higher.
For additional technical information, take a look at Chapter3 in:
For information on how to purchase this feature: