The HMC is updated to include the following new function with the release HMC V7.8.
- Support for Power Enterprise Pool management.
- Enablement for IBM PowerVC Virtualization Center standard version for Power Systems
- User-defined thresholds to enable monitoring and alerting for workloads that could benefit from the Dynamic Workload Optimizer (DWO) as well as optional automation to automatically invoke DPO when the threshold is exceeded. This function includes DPO scoring of LPARs, which indicates whether a VM will benefit from DPO usage.
- Additional tracking of DLPAR activity within the current profile, which enables reactivation of a LPAR with all configuration changes intact since the last shutdown.
- Improved group-based access control for LDAP users, which enables limiting users to a subset of HMCs.
This release requires at least two gigabytes of physical memory on the HMC to be able to exploit either Power Enterprise Pool management or enablement for PowerVC. For HMCs with less than 2 GB memory, the new GUI function will automatically be disabled.
For more information, keep your eyes on the Redbooks site for an upcoming PowerVM Enhancements Redbook.