Pre-rendered is a nice technique of using content management system and not run the websites on the heavy cpu utilized servers, but rather run them on a high available light weight servers (like I H S or apache or any web server of your choice).
IBM offers a technique to get the content managed by customers to be pulled and published into a flat file based structure making it easier to publish, while keeping the customer ability to maintain the content. For pre-rendered technique itself please refer to the documentation from IBM
In this blog I will like to share how to create an end to end solution for creation of a sitemap using the WCM navigator component which can used to submit to google for indexing of the web pages, so the pages can be listed in the search results.
Please see below the steps for generation of sitemap (remember there is no out of the box solution currently from IBM for this)
- Login to WCM as an administrator
- Click on the Library that you plan to work
- Click Components
- Create New Navigator Component ( and make the selections as indicated below)
- Make sure your header and footer content are intact as defined above
- Define a "short text" element in the root site area for the pre-rendered site to capture the domain name
- Refer that domain name element in the "Navigator result design 1" above
- Preview of this should render you a nice sitemap as needed.
However the above solves 70% of our problem, it created a Navigator component, but how do we make sure that it is delivered to a URL on the site which can be legitimately be submitted to google. In order to get it on a page, we need a content item along with a new Authoring Template and a Presentation Template. Let's see what our next steps should be once we got the Navigor done as above.
- Create a new PT with the following
- Markup of the PT would be just a reference to the Navigator Component we created earlier
- Now Create a AT with default options and use the PT created above
- Now the easy part is creating a new content in the sitearea of your choice
- So the content should be just referring the AT as defined below and there would be no content tied to it.
After everything above is done, you should have a generated sitemap in your pre-rendered directory and based on your IHS configuration it will be rendered as a page which can be submitted to google.