So here is a simple scenario. User consistently sees that a named collection index directory exists when trying to create a new one . This is even after the following has been done
1. No collections exists in the Manage Search collections listings
2. The collections name is not listed in the PSE Sources within the Resource Permissions Portlet (Portal Administration > Resource Permissions)
3. The directory in <wp_profile>/collections folder
4. The "faulty collections" link does not show up meaning the server does not necessarily see a corrupted search index
To resolve issues with reappearing "deleted" indexes there are a couple of items to check in to the above items
A. Check the settings in the SearchService properties
- If this is the default out of the box portal collection , make sure the "PortalCollectionForceCreate" is set to "off". Otherwise it will be recreated at startup
- Make sure that if RECOVERY_BACKUP_LOCATION is set, then the named collections folder structure within that location must also be deleted. Otherwise on startup the server will seethe backup information and restore the directory even though there is no specified collection. This is a feature intended to help recover otherwise corrupt collections instead of intentionally deleted ones.
B. Check for and delete the named index listing the PSE_DESC table (in the RELEASE SCHEMA).