A few posts ago I promised to get back around to the discussion of the namespace and versioning of XForms 1.1.
In the early days of XForms 1.1 (late 2004), we expected to upgrade the namespace URI as the means of indicating which processor should be used to interpret the XForms vocabulary within a document. There were, after all, not just new elements but also new attributes for existing elements and in some cases slightly adjusted behaviors for the same elements.
Well, a lot can happen in 18 months! For one thing, we originally intended to publish XForms 1.1 as
The second thing that change is that we decided that an important aspect of increasing XForms adoption was to make it easier for web content authors to write. For this reason, the HTML working group communicated the need to import the XForms module directly into the XHTML2 namespace rather than leaving it in the native XForms namespace. To accommodate this requirement, we created the notion of a chameleon namespace in the schema for XForms 1.1. This concept allows us to define XForms in the XForms namespace, but it allows a host language like XHTML to more easily import the XForms vocabulary by substituting its own namespace instead of the default XForms namespace.
Of course, any host language that attempts such an import has to deal with possible name conflicts, and we did encounter some, like the
So, to be clear, XForms content should remain in the XForms namespace whenever possible, such as when used with host languages other than XHTML, because there are significant technical benefits to doing so.
Now, how does this relate to the versionining of XForms or the fact that XForms 1.1 will use the same namespaces as XForms 1.0? Well, along separate lines, the XForms working group had received a number of communiques indicating that the change of namespace made it harder to write software that processed XForms content in ways that were not necessarily affected the vocabulary changes. Basically, the change of namespace was viewed as costly to the community. While mulling over this feedback several months ago, I realized that people who were dissatisfied with our change of namespace URI between XForms 1.0 to XForms 1.1 could simply use the chameleon namespace feature to put the XForms 1.1 markup into the XForms 1.0 namespace. They didn't have to use the feature to put the markup in the namespace of a host language.
This thought was very good news for solving the problem of those who wanted us not to change the namespace of XForms in 1.1. Since the chameleon namespace feature could defeat the intent to use the namespace URI to control the language version, clearly we had to change to versioning 'within' the XForms vocabulary. Hence, you can see in the latest working draft of XForms 1.1 that we now have reverted to the one and only XForms namespace URI originally allocated in 2002, and we have added an internal version attribute on the XForms model, defaulting to 1.0, to indicate the version of the language.[Read More]