No, this is not an announcement about myself moving to Nepal.
My friends over at OLE Nepal are [looking for a Super SysAdmin]willing to live in Nepal for five months and help out with their project to help the students in the localschools there. I think this might be a great opportunity for someone to help changethe world. Those of you who have read my past blog posts about the One Laptop per Child [OLPC], such as [Understanding the LAMP platform] and [Supporting OLPC Schools with LAMP stacks] may understand the type of work involved.
- You dream in Bash
- IPv4, IPv6, Wireless Mesh networking? No problem! You know linux networking inside and out
- Extensive knowledge of BIND, DHCPD, Squid, Apache, security, etc.
- Experience working with [Moodle] would be most excellent (it is basically a PHP web application that maintains MySQL databases for lesson plans, homework assignments and other school related information)
- Adept with Python scripting or could learn it quickly. OLPC has standardized on Python for scripting (although knowledge in Perl and PHP won't hurt either)
- You look to implement a practical solution that less skilled sysadmins can easily maintain over a cooler but more complicated solution.
- You play well with others. You don’t alienate collaborators with rude e-mails that assert your technical superiority (even though you are)
- Your primary concern is meeting the educational needs of kids and teachers. Your rate technical awesomeness a distant second to meeting those critical needs.
I've been working with Dev, Bryan and Sulochan for the past three months (remotely here from Tucson, AZ)but we've come to a point where we need on-site expertise. I will continue to provide remote support.
Given the number of readers who have contacted me over the past year looking for an IT job (or a different job because they are not happy where they are), this could be an amazing experience.
technorati tags: OLE Nepal, OLPC, Bash, Linux, IPv6, Mesh, networking, Squid, Apache, security, Moodle, LAMP, PHP, Perl, Python