Safe Harbor Statement: The information on IBM products is intended to outline IBM's general product direction and it should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision. The information on the new products is for informational purposes only and may not be incorporated into any contract. The information on IBM products is not a commitment, promise, or legal obligation to deliver any material, code, or functionality. The development, release, and timing of any features or functionality described for IBM products remains at IBM's sole discretion.
Tony Pearson is a an active participant in local, regional, and industry-specific interests, and does not receive any special payments to mention them on this blog.
Tony Pearson receives part of the revenue proceeds from sales of books he has authored listed in the side panel.
Tony Pearson is not a medical doctor, and this blog does not reference any IBM product or service that is intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure, prevention or monitoring of a disease or medical condition, unless otherwise specified on individual posts.
The developerWorks Connections platform will be sunset on December 31, 2019. On January 1, 2020, this blog will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ.
IBM Conference Sandwich for 2017
This week, IBM begins its first of three major conferences.
IBM InterConnect - March 19-23, 2017 - Las Vegas, NV
IBM InterConnect is a Cognitive Solutions and Cloud Platform conference, with an emphasis on Cloud, Mobile and DevOps technologies.
Nearly every IBM storage product can support a Cloud deployment. I presented IBM Cloud Storage options at IBM InterConnect 2016. Here were my blog posts from that event.
I am not in Las Vegas this week for this year's event, but the sessions will be streamed live through [IBM GO].
IBM Systems Technical University - May 22-26, 2017 - Orlando, FL
IBM Systems Technical University is the evolution of a variety of other conferences related to servers, storage and software. Starting out as the "IBM Storage Symposium", then added "System x" servers and renamed to "Storage and System x University", then dropped "System x" when IBM sold off that business to Lenovo.
A few years ago, it was renamed "Edge", initially just focused on Storage, but then two years ago combined with System z mainframe servers and POWER Systems for IBM i and AIX platforms. It also covers software products that previously had their own conferences, like IBM Pulse or MaximoWorld
Last year, the IBM Marketing team tried a daring experiment. Let's change "Edge" to be a "Cognitive Solutions and Cloud Platform" conference, with emphasis on IT Infrastructure.
The experiment failed. Not because IBM Systems don't support these new initiatives, but because the audience were more interested to hear about how IBM Systems help their current day-to-day business. As many attendees told me, "If we wanted to hear about Cognitive or Cloud, we have plenty of other of conferences that cover that already!"
While 40 percent of IBM revenues are generated from Cognitive Solutions and Cloud Platform, the other 60 percent are traditional, on-premise, systems-of-record application workloads, the kind that business, non-profit groups, and government agencies have been using for the past few decades!
To address this need, IBM offered three-day "IBM Systems Technical University" events at various locations. Last year, I presented storage topics at events in Atlanta, Austin, Bogota, Boston, Chicago, Dubai, Nairobi, and São Paulo.
We will have several of those this year as well. The main one will be a full 5-day event, May 22-26, in Orlando Florida. I will be there presenting various sessions on storage!
IBM World of Watson - October 29-November 2, 2017 - Las Vegas, NV
This is a Cognitive Solutions and Cloud Platform conference, with an emphasis on Analytics and Database technologies.
I did not attend World of Watson, or WoW for short, last year, but it was an evolution of the conference previously called "IBM Insight". I am sure everything from DB2 and Open Source databases to Hadoop and Spark will be covered this year as well.
In writing this post, I realize that this year will be like a "Conference Sandwich". Cognitive-and-Cloud at the top and bottom, with all the meat, veggies and garnish in the middle!