t Once again, I will be working the IBM Exhibition Booth of the Solution Showcase, attending keynote and break-out sessions, and meeting with clients and analysts. Today is mostly setting up the booth, getting my registration badge and materials, an orientation meeting for first-timers, and finish off the evening with a networking event to get the party started!
Traffic to and from the hotel was a mess today because of the [Las Vegas Strip at Night Rock-n-Roll Marathon]. The entire Las Vegas Boulevard was blocked off from 2pm to 11pm, causing taxis some headaches getting to and from each hotel. This marathon included a "Stiletto Dash" where women had to run in shoes that had at least three inch heels! (Only in Las Vegas!)
The conference is organized into 8 tracks:
- Navigating the Journey to Cloud-Delivered Services
- Achieving and Maintaining IT Operational Excellence
- Modernizing Your Storage Strategy to Keep Pace with Burgeoning Demand
- Ensuring Your Business Continuity Management Plan Reflects Today's Realities and Tomorrow's Challenges
- Virtualization: Moving at Light Speed While Leveraging Your Existing Investments
- The Future of Servers and Operating Systems
- Data Center Modernization: Staying Agile in Chaotic Times
- Pervasive Mobility: What Infrastructure and Operations Needs to Know Now
I am glad to see that storage got its own track this year! If you are attending the conference, here are the sessions that IBM is featuring for Monday:
- IBM: Watson and Your Data Center
This is a lunch-time talk. Steve Sams, IBM VP of Sites and Facilities, will explain how to leverage Watson-like analytic approaches to provide flexible, cost-effective data center solutions. Analytics can be used to better align IT to the business needs, optimize server, storage and network utilization and improve data center design.
- IBM: University of Rochester Medical Center cracks the code on data growth
Rick Haverty, Director of Infrastructure for University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC), will discuss how his team built a storage strategy that transformed their environment to bring savings right to their bottom line without sacrificing the speed, criticality and performance requirements of their imaging and EMR systems. I will be there to introduce Rick at the beginning, and then moderate the Q&A after the talk.
- Solution Showcase Reception
The Solution Showcase opens up Monday night with a reception, serving food and drinks. Look for the IBM Portable Mobile Data Center (PMDC), the big trailer on the show floor. We also have an exhibit booth, across from the PMDC, to ask questions and talk with various IBM experts. You can look for me and the other experts wearing white lab coats!
It's gearing up to be a great week in Vegas!