Our Designer designers have added their thoughts to the mix in this article.
"In this article, we provide an overview of the following key Workplace Designer design goals and how they are realized in the product:
* Provide fast time to value using a visual development tool.
* Optional separation of presentation and data.
* Support document-centric programming model.
* Provide flexible ways to add event-based logic.
* Enable collaborative capabilities provided by IBM Workplace Collaboration Services.
* Support a consistent approach with other IBM application development tools.
* Provide ease of learning through sample applications and a tutorial."