100 Tech Tips: #82: Find IBM Netezza on the Support Portal!
Attention IBM Netezza Clients: You can now search for and select IBM Netezza in the Support Portal to find IBM Netezza information, technical documents, sign up for automated notifications about your Appliance, and open service requests.
As you become familiar with the Portal, here are a few tips:
The following images are from the Support Home tab
of the Portal.
||Click the Find a Product button or type IBM Netezza in the Quick Find field to add IBM Netezza to your product list.
||Check regularly for important links and information in the Featured Links section.
||View the Top Ten section of the page to view the most popular technical documents for IBM Netezza.
TIP! You can sort this list by date (most recent), by most viewed, or by the highest rated documents.
||Click the Sign In link within Notifications to sign up for automated, personalized updates about IBM Netezza directly in your inbox.
All of the features we just discussed are available on your Support home tab. Make sure to click and explore the other tabs available within the Portal to make sure you are accessing all of the available resources, information, and downloads available.
Here is a list of license documents that may help resolve the DB2 license errors you encounter with DB2 on Linux, Unix and Windows:
Useful DB2 license references from our Information Center:
A few of you have asked for a full summary of our tips broken down by product area... so here you go!
Bye Bye, Control Center! So, what's next?
Starting from DB2 Version 9.7, Control Center tools have been deprecated. In DB2 Version 10.1, Control Center tools and all the related components such
as wizards and advisors are discontinued.
The following Control Center tools
and related features have been discontinued:
- Activity Monitor
- Command Editor
- Configuration Assistant
- Control Center and associated wizards and advisors
- Add Partitions launchpad
- Alter Database Partition Group wizard
- Backup wizard
- Configuration advisor wizard
- Configure Database Logging wizard
- Configure Multisite Update wizard
- Create Cache Table wizard
- Create Database wizard
- Create Federated Objects wizard (Also known as Create Nicknames
- Create Table Space wizard
- Create Table wizard
- Design advisor wizard
- Drop Partition launchpad
- Health Alert Notification
- Health Indicator Configuration launchpad
- Load wizard
- Recommendation advisor
- Redistribute Data wizard
- Restore wizard
- Set Up Activity Monitor wizard
- Set Up High Availability Disaster Recovery (HADR) Databases wizard
- Storage Management Setup launchpad
- Troubleshooting wizard
- Control Center plug-in extensions
- Event Analyzer
- Health Center
- Indoubt Transaction Monitor
- License Center
- Memory Visualizer
- Query Patroller Center
- Satellite Administration Center
- Task Center
- User interface to access Spatial Extender functionality
- User interface to Visual Explain
As a result, there are commands and response file keywords
for DB2 installation that are
also discontinued. The following associated DB2 commands are discontinued:
- db2am (Start Activity monitor center command)
- db2ca (Start the Configuration Assistant command)
- db2cc (Start control center command)
- db2ce (Start Command Editor command)
- db2eva (Event analyzer command)
- db2hc (Start health center command)
- db2indbt (Start Indoubt Transaction Monitor
- db2journal (Start Journal command)
- db2lc (Start License Center command)
- db2memvis (Start Memory Visualizer center command)
- db2tc (Start Task Center command)
In addition, the following response
file keywords are discontinued:
What is the replacement for Control Center tools?
IBM Data Studio and IBM InfoSphere Optim tools
are available to perform similar tasks that you used to perform with
the Control Center tools. These recommended tools provide enhanced
features for those tasks.The following table shows the recommended
tools to use in place of the Control Center tools.
Table 1. Control Center
tools versus Recommended tools
Control Center tool
Control Center associated wizards
User Interface to Spatial Extender
IBM Data Studio
|Task Center||IBM Data Studio with Data Studio Web Console|
|Health Center||IBM Data Studio Web Console|
Query Patroller Center
|IBM InfoSphere Optim Performance Manager|
|Configuration assistant||IBM InfoSphere Optim Configuration Manager|
For details, refer Resources
Summer - where does it go?!?
Apparently, where everyone else goes - on vacation! I know that everyone has been hanging at the edge of their seat waiting for another "Thoughts from Information Management Support" entry as if it were the next Harry Potter novel or a new iPod release. Sorry to have kept you on edge for so long. Fortunately for us all, summer is quickly drawing to a close (though not the heat) and soon we'll have nothing to do but blog (as soon as the pool closes).
Stay tuned - more to come.....
DB2 LUW is capable of running Java
applications as stored procedures or user defined functions (Stored
Procedures and UDFs are collectively referred to as routines). When
a Java routine is invoked DB2 will load the class and start a JVM in
a process called the db2fmp. Unlike other DB2 processes, this
process is owned by the fenced user, so it is necessary for the fenced user ID to have access to the libraries containing the
application classes and the JVM. By default the JDK that is shipped
with DB2 is used. You can
use a JDK other than the one shipped with DB2 by modifying the
JDK_PATH dbm cfg variable to point to the location of the desired
JDK. If you are using a 1.6 JDK it will be necessary to set the
environment variable DB2LIBPATH to the path containing the JDK. Not
every JDK is supported for running routines. Supported JDKs are
documented in the DB2 Infocenter. The JDKs supported for version 9.7
are listed at the following URL.
In order to execute a Java routine DB2
will start a JVM in the db2fmp. On AIX systems the db2fmp will
be unable to start a JVM if the Stack Execution Disable mode is set
to “all' or “setidfiles”. If the SED is set to one of these
modes it will be necessary to change the mode in order to run Java
routines. You can verify the setting of the SED by issuing the
For information on General routine
performance including additional information on Java routines see the
See the following URL for information
on modifying the dbm cfg variable JDK_PATH
What does Information On Demand 2011 have to offer???
111 customer speakers who will share their first-hand experience and best practices about IBM and the Information Management portfolio? http://bit.ly/attendIOD
356 technical sessions. From Introductory sessions to deep dive and roadmap sessions, we offer it all! Watch the video http://bit.ly/oYvUDa
40 Birds of a Feather sessions. Network with colleagues in compelling discussions that address technical and business issues important to you.
34 Ask the Experts sessions. Meet our experts and join them in informal discussions to address your specific needs and questions.
110 Hands-On labs
700 technical education sessions
10 technical tracks with hundreds of technical sessions on: Master Data Management; Innovations in Information; Integrating Information; Information Lifecycle, Security and Privacy; Information Governance; DB2 for Linux, UNIX, Windows and Tools; DB2 for z/OS and Tools; Informix and Tools; IMS and Tools; Data Warehousing and Analytics. http://bit.ly/attendIOD
.... the numbers go on and on!
Don't just SEE the numbers - BE the numbers!
Join the numbers of people from around the world attending Information On Demand 2011!
IBM® InfoSphere® BigInsights™ Enterprise Edition V2.0
is an analytics platform that enables analysis of a wide variety of unconventional information types and formats at large-scale volumes, without up-front preprocessing. IBM BigInsights V2.0:
- Delivers enterprise Hadoop capabilities with easy-to-use administration and management capabilities, rich developer tools, powerful analytic functions, and the latest versions of Apache Hadoop and associated projects.
- Provides extensive new capabilities by offering enhanced big data tools for visualization, monitoring, development, enhanced functionality for better enterprise integration with other IBM products, and additional platform support for Cloudera.
- Introduces two new Application Accelerators that may help you to a faster ROI: The Social Data Analytics Accelerator and the Machine Data Analytics Accelerator.
- Provides analytics and enterprise functionality on top of Apache Hadoop technology to meet big data enterprise requirements.
- Lets you run with the IBM-provided Apache Hadoop distribution or deploy to a Cloudera cluster.
- Includes data discovery to enable exploratory analysis and modeling of unconventional data types.
- Integrates with IBM InfoSphere Warehouse, IBM DB2® , and IBM Netezza® to allow data transfer leveraging MapReduce for parallelism and scale.
Click here for more information.
IBM InfoSphere Data Explorer, Version 8.2-2 is available to download.
InfoSphere Data Explorer Version 8.2-2 includes the following updates:
• Data Explorer Engine uses Installation Manager 1.6.1, which provides a 64-bit version of Data Explorer Engine. It is therefore no longer necessary to install 32-bit libraries to use Installation manager on Linux systems.
• Data Explorer Engine now supports optionally displaying query results in original document formats, known as rich preview. Displaying rich preview results in a browser is not supported in Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 6.0, though all other Data Explorer Engine features are IE6-compatible. Using Rich Preview is described in the Data Explorer Engine Users Guide.
• The capabilities of the Data Explorer Application Builder administration tool have been substantially improved for this fix pack. New features and capabilities include:
◦ Added support for modular, graphical configuration of the schema that defines the resources, entities, and other fundamental information that is used by an Application Builder application
◦ Added support for setting the default theme used in applications developed using the Application Builder
◦ Added the ability to import and export the configuration information that is used by an Application Builder instance
◦ Added search configuration options including relevancy formula configuration
The release notes are available here.
While your business is growing, you might face some performance issues, that weren't there when you started using DataStage, or even worse, DataStage, has never been as fast as you thought it would be.
As follows, I'm sharing with you some tips to check in general and specific environments, maybe it's matter of changing a parameter or maybe you have to install a product Fix, but remember, it's always useful to test in a controlled environment, stress your environment, and review if modifications helped or not.
How to improve performance of IDocs outbound from SAP
Improving DataStage job performance on Solaris
InfoSphere DataStage: Parallel Job Performance Issue on Redhat Linux 6.1 System
Parallel Engine in IS 8.7 has poor performance creating lookup tables.
How can I improve performance during an import into Datastage?
Please, if you have any other performance question or specific environment, let us know and we'll help you to find a techdoc that might help you.
Top Ten Technical Support Documents
Better than "Stupid Pets Tricks", the updated IBM Support Portal has introduced the TOP TEN for technical support content!
Now, there you can see the 10 Most recent or 10 Most viewed documents for your products!
With the new "Top Ten" portlet, you can quickly find the newest documents or check out the documents your peers were using most often. The Top Ten portlet is available on the Overview, Troubleshooting, Planning Installation, and Usage pages. Chance are your colleagues know about and are using the documents that are most helpful so be sure to review the Most viewed list periodically.
See, can your pet do that trick?!?
There are few recent published technotes that address to different InfoSphere Information Server installation related issues :
- During InfoSphere Information Server 9.1 installation, users might get the message "The image properties file was not found...." In order to avoid this message,You need to download the proper IIS_V9.1_BUNDLE*.zip which contains the license key from the Passport Advantage site for your
purchased InfoSphere Information Server 9.1 product edition and unpack
it into your product media directory,e.g. 'is-suite' directory, please visit the related technote
- The Data Masking stage requires Optim Data Privacy Providers, which is a library to mask privacy data. To use the Data Masking stage, you must install Optim Data Privacy Providers on the InfoSphere Information Server engine tier. Refer to the technote that contains information about installing the IBM InfoSphere DataStage Data Masking stage and installing and configuring Optim Data Privacy Providers, version 9.1.
- Go to the technote to get to know about infoSphere Information Server, Version 9.1 installation issue on Solaris
PewResearch Center published the results of their latest Big Data study on the internet. The report discusses what experts are saying about Big Data hype and hope. Mark Wash co-founder of Geniusrocket.com is quoted as saying “IBM Smarter Planet will make energy use and traffic congestion get better”.
The report provided the following quote from the McKinsey Global:
“US health care could use Big Data creatively and effectively to drive efficiency and quality, we estimate that the potential value from data in the sector could be more than $300 billion in value every year, two-thirds of which would be in the form of reducing national health care expenditures by about 8%. In the private sector, we estimate, for example, that a retailer using Big Data to the full has the potential to increase its operating margin by more than 60%.”
The report contains various responses to survey questions and exposes some major themes and arguments made about big data.Click here to read more…
Information on Demand 2011 is in full swing! Here are a few key observations from our team on-site at the event and our team watching the event from our IBM offices!
- The Support, Services, and Education Hub has been busy throughout the event and is in a great location right behind the IBM Watson pedestal! Attached are photos of the Support part of the Hub as they got ready for today's rush! If you are at the event, visit the Hub in the EXPO, pedestal 625.
- Demos, demos, demos! The Support Hub has been showing tons of demos of all of our eSupport tools and resources. The most popular demos have been (drumroll please!) fix downloads and the Service Request tool! To view demos from home, check out the IBM Electronic Support Channel on YouTube.
- Valuable conversation -- the team at the Hub have reported that there is a ton of conversation happening at the Hub and in the AVP Lounge (EXPO space 431).
- Getting social -- it looks like many clients and IBMers are attending the event from home through the LiveStream site and social media. According to a Twitter post during today's general session there have been 3K tweets, the LinkedIn Group has doubled in membership, and the Livestream audience up 200% -- WOW! Speaking of getting social, have you followed us on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook yet?
- Our Support Leaders have reported back through Facebook -- there has been plenty of information sharing at client meetings and at the Customer Advisory Council meetings for DB2 and Informix held on Saturday with a focus on Web, Electronic, and Chat support channels. There was a full house at the Business Partner Summit on Saturday. Become a fan of IM Support on Facebook to stay on top of the conference updates this week, and general Support updates and information once the conference wraps.
Let's keep the momentum going throughout this awesome week at IOD! If you are at the event, come and talk to Support (EXPO 625) and AVP (EXPO 431). If you are at home, connect with us through Twitter, Facebook, or this blog! #iod11
100 Tech Tips, #59: Collecting the right data for MDM Support team
PD Collector tool is a great way to collect all the information MDM Support Team will need for investigation purposes.
Please note this PD Collector tool (Problem Determination Tool) is available from MDM Server 902 onwards.
All you need to do is running the "mdmsupport.sh" script with any of the available options.
Here some examples:
- mdmsupport.sh --collect=mdm (collects info from MDM layer)
- mdmsupport.sh --collect=appserver (collects info from the Application Server layer)
- mdmsupport.sh --collect=dblogs (collects info from DB layer)
- mdmsupport.sh --collect=system (collects system metrics info)
You can fin more information at: