Tech Tip: The IBM Data Server Driver Package does not come with traditional BIND command. How can I bind packages then?
Swati Thorve 270004FTYS Visits (69)
Traditional BIND command is not part of the IBM Data Server Driver Package.
You can use the DB2BINDER utility to bind packages from the IBM Data Server Driver Package.
You can follow the below steps:
Find more options available with DB2Binder here.
Thanks for reading!
mandeer 060000EBHC Visits (152)
To ensure you are ready for the Optim products reaching EOS in April, here is a summary. You can view the original EOS announcement here.
Learn more about the IBM Product Lifecycle and how you can obtain a support extension for your products.
KarenForbes 27000297T9 Visits (217)
The Primary Contact should designate Secondary Contacts in IBM Passport Advantage to assist with adding new users and determining access privileges. Once nominated, Secondary Contacts have all the same management access rights as the Primary Contact except for creating new Secondary Contacts. It is essential that the Primary Contact shares the Passport Advantage Site Number with all named Secondary Contacts. If a customer site has no nominated Secondary Contacts, the Primary Contact will be solely responsible for managing access rights. The Primary Contact can designate up to four Secondary Contacts.
Refer to this link for further information & register your Secondary Contacts today!
YogeshGawali 060001M1GN Visits (339)
For most of us, we refer the word 'ARCHIVE' in DB2 to DB2 Transactional Logs archiving.
There are other items that you can archive as well. Let's explore what all we can archive:
1. DB2 Transactional Logs - This refers to DB2 transactional log archiving. I assume you are familiar with this concept. Hence I won't discuss it in detail here. If you have any question, please feel free to ask us. You can add a comment to this article at the bottom.
2. DB2 Diagnostic Logs Archiving - This refers to archiving db2diag.log and <instance_name>.nfy file. We have seen few cases where our customers do not archive db2diag.log and notify file for several months/years. And when you see any problem on database server and want to review db2diag.log file, it takes several minutes to open the huge file and scroll down to correct erroneous entry of our interest. It is good practice to archive these files on regular basis. I personally recommend my customer to archive these files on monthly basis. You can write a cron job to archive the files at regular interval. The command 'db2diag -A' can be used to archive the current db2diag.log file. You can also think of archiving following files from ~/sqllib/db2dump :
If a SQL query is running slow and dumping lot of error entries in db2diag.log file, then huge db2diag.log file can add to slow down of SQL query. For writing an error entry in db2diag.log file, db2sysc will take few milisec to open and write to huge db2diag.log file.
3. DB2 History File Archiving / Pruning - It refers to history file archival. As observed with db2 diagnostics logs, most of us do not look at history file size. It's size does matter to DB2 performance. History file keeps track of following events:
•A database or table spaces are backed up
It is another good practice to keep pruning this file on regular interval basis, may be via cron job.
4. DB2 - Actual User Data Archiving
I highly recommend to archive the actual data from your production database if your business does not require it anymore. The older data in production database is always a headache. It consumes space and misguide DB2 optimizer sometimes. The range partitioning can be a reliable and efficient method to roll out the older data.
5. DB2 - Scripts and/or Logs files Archiving
Older version of scripts and the logs/output files generated from scripts can be archived or removed if not required.
Except DB2 transactional log files, please do not forget to compress the archived files in order to save the storage space.
Please be extra sensitive and careful before archiving any DB2 files.
Today, we're please to share three newly published support newsletters for three of our top Information Platform & Solutions products: InfoSphere Information Server, InfoSphere Master Data Management, and InfoSphere Data Replication!
In each newsletter, you'll find three sections:
You can subscribe to any of the newsletters by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Subscribe + Product Name (Info Server, MDM, or IIDR) to receive a copy directly in your inbox. You can also provide feedback on the usefulness of the newsletter by clicking on the five star rating or leaving comment.
Happy reading! Here are the links to the newsletters:
amccarl 100000AY2G Visits (383)
Where is online information for my product?
Where can I go to ask a question?
How do I know what versions and fixes are available for my product?
Where can I find documentation for my products?
How do I connect to the online community for my product?
Check out our newest all-in-one list:
all technical support downloads, content, tools / updates about product news, fixes, technical articles / download fixes / find product documentation and education modules / ask questions / open, edit and track Service Requests / view and subscribe to our Product Newsletters / connect to IBM Information Management support community through social media
YogeshGawali 060001M1GN Visits (408)
I am quite sure that most of you are using 'svmon' utility with various option to monitor the memory utilisation on AIX box. The most useful option I found is 'P'. It quickly shows you the approximate memory consumption at process level:
$ svmon -G
work pers clnt other
PageSize PoolSize inuse pgsp pin virtual
How to read this output?
- It shows that you have 6GB main (or real) memory allocated on this server and 6GB is configured as page swapping space.
- Main memory is almost 100% utilized (please see 'inuse' column). Thereafter your system will start using paging space.
- The last section contains the detailed page level information. Pagesize 's' stands for small page of size 4K. Pagesize 'm' stands for medium page of size 64K.
Now we will determine the memory consumers at process level:
$ svmon -P | head -3 | tail -1;svmon -P | grep -p Pid | grep -v -- ^- | grep -v Pid | grep -v ^$
Please look at the 'inuse' column in the output above. It shows the number of pages (of 4K size) in use by a particular process.
Slakshmi 060001JD9S Visits (408)
When you download IBM Data server driver for JDBC and SQLJ, the tar or zip file (For Example, DB2 V10.1 FP3 driver download is v10.
db2jcc4.jar and db2jcc.jar, both of them are DB2 JDBC driver jar files and are Type 4 JDBC drivers.
KateDawson 060001TQ2C Visits (244)
Hello everyone and happy April!
Rather than an April Fools' joke, we'd like to share the new Request for Enhancement (RFE) Process available for IBM Support Assistant!
Through the RFE Community, you can collaborate directly with the IBM Support Assistant development teams and other users to influence the development of this tool.
To make a Request for Enhancement:
Note that even though you need to select the brand WebSphere, you can include RFE for any IBM Support Assistant eligible product, including those from Information Management.
Learn more about the late
Not familiar with IBM Support Assistant?
IBM Support Assistant offerings provide rich problem determination tools and functions to assist you in quickly troubleshooting complex software problems or automatically gathering diagnostic data.
MaryKKassey 2700055CKK Visits (325)
Last week, I ran into a customer problem where the 32-bit ODBC User DSN test from 32-bit ODBC Data Source Administrator (C:\
We tried to create a new User DSN from 32-bit ODBC Data Source Administrator, but we could not, since it failed with the same error.
On their Windows XP, machine they have the same setup, the DSN test connection works fine, only on Windows 7, these problems started happening.
We went ahead and launched cmd.exe,browsed to C:\Program Files (x86), IBM\IBM Data Server Driver\bin, ran db2level command it worked, db2cli registerdsn -list -allcopies -user did not work, it did not list any User DSN's even though they seem to exist (User DSN tab in the 32-bit ODBC administrator).
Explained to customer that based on my experience, these kind of setup routine errors happen if there is a corrupted DB2 install/non-working DB2copy was chosen, recommended approach was to re-install DS driver copy.
To uninstall DS driver copy, we were looking under Programs and Features in the Control Panel. noticed two copies of IBM Data Server Driver IBMDBCL1 for same version and FixPack.
We looked under C:\Program Files\IBM\IBM Data Server Driver to make sure, we found one here as well. The reason they had two DS driver copies under Program files and Program files (x86) both was:
Their network team migrated all the applications including DB2 from Windows XP to Windows 7 as part of OS migration, and it has resulted in these ODBC issues.
Here we go, we found the culprit, this seems to be the source of the ODBC problems, the reason being:
DB2 does not support both 32-bit and 64-bit DB2 to co-exist on the same Windows 64-bit machine It can be all 32-bit DB2 or all 64-bit DB2, but not both. Its documented here:
Note: The instances can also belong to different DB2 copies on a computer that can be at different levels of the database manager. If you are running a 64-bit Windows system, you can install 32-bit DB2, or 64-bit DB2 but they cannot co-exist on the same machine.
Uninstalled both DSdriver copies from Control Panel, re-installed 32-bit DB2 Data Server Driver copy since the customer's applications were going to be just 32-bit.
Launched 32-bit ODBC Data Source Administrator located under C:\W
Thank you for reading!
If you recently purchased IBM software, require a software download and you or another coworker is the Primary for your company, registration for Passport Advantage is necessary.
Passport Advantage enrollment is required for IBM customers to down load the latest available software and to gain access to other Passport Advantage features. If you are designated as the Primary Contact you are required to log in into Passport Advantage to activate your site for coworker access.
Registration is fast, convenient and can be completed online!
If you are a Primary Contact, register today by clicking the online enrolment link:
JunGuo 270006BN0K Visits (234)
IMLillianLei 120000CR7P Visits (224)
In Master Data Management Collaborative Edition (MDMCE) workflow, a merge step is a type of automated step. You can find more information on all step types for MDMCE workflow on this link: Types of steps.
As you can see on the above InfoCenter documentation, a merge step ensures all the incoming steps are completed for that entry. This step merges several steps after a split. If x steps point to the merge step, then x copies of the entry must go through the merge step before this entry can move to the next step. The key here is, all the entries from the parallel split steps need to exit these parallel steps and moved to the merge step before the entry can be automatically moved out of the merge step.
To demonstrate, here is a generic use case.
1. Create a simple primary spec and catalog using the primary spec as well as a hierarchy for the catalog.
2. Create a non admin role, then create 3 users using this non admin role.
3. Create a workflow including the following steps:
general step 1
approval step2.1, set approver as user number 1
approval step2.2 ,set approver as user number 2
approval step2.3, set approver as user number 3
merge step 3
general step 4
4. Create a collaboration area for the workflow and catalog created.
5. Create a new item in the catalog, and check it out to the collaboration area. Click done on this item, so it now appears in approval step2.1, 2.2 and 2.3.
6. Login to the product using user number 1's credential. You will see the item in approval step2.1, click "Done".
7. Login to the product using user number 2's credential. You'll see the item in approval step2.2. Click on the item then click "Done".
8. Now just to test, login to the product using Admin user, you will see all of the workflow steps for the collaboration area, and you will also see there is only 1 item in approval step 2.3. There is no item in approval step 2.1 and 2.2.
9. Login to the product using user number 3's credential. You will see one item in approval step 2.3. Click on the item then click done.
10. Now you can login to the product as Admin user. You may see the item moved to merge step 3 temporarily, then it is automatically moved to general step 4. Click on the item in general step 4, then click "Done". Now the item is moved out of the collaboration area, and checked in to the catalog.
Swati Thorve 270004FTYS Visits (375)
I had opportunity to implement AES encryption from a Java program using a DB2 JDBC driver with ORACLE Java. Here are all the steps I took:
1> On client machine, installed ORACLE Java 7:
More information about DB2 Server's authentication types can be found here
More information on securityMechanism and ecnc