today i will talk about some Tasks and challenges that should be done by everyone before and after working with SAN Switches . this sample of this tasks
· Backup SAN switch configuration before and after working.
· Collect info about the current installed License.
· Collect info about the current Fabric members.
· Collect info about the current Switch ports utilization.
· Collect info about the current active logins WWPN.
· Collect info about current active configurations, Zones and Aliases.
· Collect Support show output.
· Collect support save files for support if needed.
How you can document this info to be Reference for you if you need to check it later.
· And with some customers , the customer need to have way to automate SAN switch backup as it's part of his Backup Process.
this tasks take many time by traditional way, and if you will do it against multiple SAN switches it will be sooo hard . and in some time one or more of this tasks is missing from our side . all this challenges motivate me to search for way to automate this tasks to be done by only double Click regardless how many switches, Ten , Hundred or even Thousand.
Therefore i created Package of batches to do this tasks automatically,
you can download the Package from this link
This package contain three files,
- The First one (SAN-SWs.txt) should contain the IPs of your SAN Switches.
- The Second one (Edit_Me_For_IBM_SAN_Backup_Data_Collection.bat) will do all commands that achieve the listed tasks before.
- The Third one (Run_Me_For_IBM_SAN_Backup_Data_Collection.bat) will start the loop to do all taks in the second file against all IPs in the First file.
Note, All Outputs (Backup & Data Collection) will be saved in (C:\Hossam_SAN_Batches\SAN_Data_Collection) folder
How to Use this Package???
1- Extract (Hossam_SAN_Batches.zip) file to your (C:\) drive.
2- If you don't have FTP Software, i prefer to use (3CDaemon) , you can download it from this link (http://www.4shared-china.com/zip/7q2Ur1re/3CDaemon.htm).
3- Set the FTP user name and Directory (it's one time), simply after you install the (3CDaemon) and start it . go to FTP server section , then select Configure FTP Server, in the Profile name write the name of your user to be (IBM), then Set the password to be (123456aA) and set the User Directory to be , (C:\Hossam_Batches\SAN_Data_Collection). Then Save Profile and exit.
Note, if you don't set the FTP settings as mentioned before the Backup will be failed.
4- Update the (SAN-SWs.txt) with your SAN switches IP.
5- Update the (Edit_Me_For_IBM_SAN_Backup_Data_Collection.bat) with the FTP Host IP that has (3CDaemon) software installed. it should be that same machine that has the Package of batches.
6- Update the SAN Switch Admin Password Variables in (Edit_Me_For_IBM_SAN_Backup_Data_Collection.bat) , if it changed, you can change any Variable value if it not like the default values.
7- Take a look at the paths of files in (Run_Me_For_IBM_SAN_Backup_Data_Collection.bat) to be sure that the Paths is correct
8- Run (Run_Me_For_IBM_SAN_Backup_Data_Collection.bat) the (3CDaemon) software will start automatic and then the Switch Backup and data collection will uploaded to (C:\Hossam_SAN_Batches\SAN_Data_Collection)
Note; in the batch i skipped the (Support Show) and (Support Save) command by # as they take many time , if you need to collection it just remove # from the Beginning of lines in (Edit_Me_For_IBM_SAN_Backup_Data_Collection.bat) they are located in the last section in the batch.
if anyone facing any issue to use this Package feel free to contact me in any time.