It's a source of frustration that you can not split screen and start another SMP/E dialog so you can browse multiple elements. Now we poor sysprogs get some relief.
With z/OS V2R1 SMP/E allows you to open multiple dialogs at one time, even split screens, using the same Consolidated Software Inventory dataset (CSI).
- Makes it easier to view multiple entries or different zones.
- A CSI dataset may be open for read in multiple dialogs at once
- A CSI dataset may only be open for UPDATE in ONE dialog.
- The SMP/E Administration dialog and the Order Management dialog are the only SMP/E dialogs that open a CSI data set for update.
Attempting to update a CSI from one dialog when another dialog is open in a screen for update results in message:
- GIMXX055 SMPCSI data set ZOSUPD3.GLOBAL.CSI is busy
- The update is not allowed and you are essentially prevented from access to any panels that require update
The new support is supplied as an SPE for SMP/E V3.6 (z/OS V1.13 and z/OS V2.1) with APAR: IO18093 (FMID: HMP1J00)
However, if you attempt to open any screen that requires update in more than a single session you get the CSI message is busy. For example if I attempt to open two SMP/E Administration dialogs at one I get:
A small but useful enhancement. For more nifty features available with z/OS Version 2 Release 1, see the IBM Redbooks publication z/OS Version 2 Release 1 Technical Updates, SG24-8140.