The net is that I'll be working on a future Software Group technology, but unfortunately, since this is IBM, I'm not allowed to talk about its details until it's officially announced.
But anyhow, I've been spending a significant amount of time inside of Rational Software Architect, and I've been noticing lots of neat new capabilities in the IDE and also in WebSphere Application Server that didn't exist the last time I programmed (circa 2002 when WAS 4 was king).
Something that REALLY struck my fancy tonight is the ability to search developerWorks content within RSA. I assume that this capability also exists within the other Atlantic desktop tools (which I discussed here).
To search developerWorks within RSA:
1) Choose the "Search" menu and the "Search" sub-menu (or just press Ctrl-H).
2) Navigate to the "dW Search" tab. You'll see the dialog below.
3) A "Classic Search" view shows up at the bottom of RSA with a list of results (see my search below for "Bobby Woolf").
4) Double-clicking a link in the results list will open the corresponding developerWorks web page in your default web browser. (here's the same list inside of developerWorks)
To the developerWorks and Rational folks - good job of integrating the tools with the developer knowledge portal. Keep it coming.
PS - Based on anecdotal evidence, this blog is read by two basic groups of people:
- technical professionals who enjoy my esoteric ramblings on development and the IT industry, and
- semi- or non-technical friends and family who visit in hope of the occasional off-topic post
For the latter audience, if you don't know what developerWorks is, it's the web site you're currently reading. IBM developerWorks is IBM's web site that provides technical articles, tutorials, and other technical content to people developing software using IBM technologies.
contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org