Lotusphere 2009 was quite exciting. I am back again here due to requests from customers and partners who wanted to keep a pulse on competitive insights. So what is new? what is hot?
Cost reduction strategies is hot. Remember? Liberate, Migrate, Virtualize...
Desktop Virtualization is hot. Particularly if you virtualize your Linux desktops. Yes Linux. Check out this solution IBM announced with Virtual Bridges and Canonical in Dec 2008.
- Press announcement: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/26230.wss
- Solution sheet: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/lotus/lotusweb/openclient/OVC_VERDE_Ubuntu_1103.pdf
- Technical whitepaper series: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/lotus/library/occs-pt5/
So this is about reducing software license, hardware costs, and operational costs. And yes, you also benefit from virtual collaboration -- travel, phone, search/discovery, etc. etc...
Then of course, how can you collaborate smarter? What does it mean to People, their workspace, and the business processes and relevant information sources?
- By making the right (timely, with the right available person, with the required knowledge) connections, and establishing deeper relationships (trust, motivation). It is about interconnections.
- By figuring out the best business processes you can real time enable, not only with presence and bots and chat/web conferencing but also tying it to voice, mobility, wireless, and IP telephony. Instrumenting it right. Adding smartness to it.
- By innovating - nurturing and transforming talent through participatory community dynamics, anytime, anywhere, using any device
- By optimizing the workspace and drive out costs -- all those costs I described above. By doing the Liberate-Migrate-Virtualize, leveraging Open Collaboration Client Solution, open virtual clients, Symphony, Linux...
This does require cognition oriented architectures that breed new intelligence that can provide the fine balance between self-service and automation.