Social Business transformation
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  domino upgrade bank us microsoft sharepoint notes collaboration2.0 2,740 Views
US Bank, is getting their 58,000 users upgrade to the latest Lotus Notes Domino 8.5. Moreover, this bank, who had more than 5000 siloed Sharepoint sites, is adopting Lotus Quickr and Lotus Connections software in addition to Lotus Sametime that is already in use. Working smarter together...
See details here: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/28400.wss
"Our industry has undergone unprecedented changes over the last year, and that serves as great example of why it's so important for U.S. Bank's employees to be able to use technology to communicate and collaborate efficiently," said Mark Dickelman, senior vice president, innovation, research and development for U.S. Bank. "Keeping up with economic developments and policy changes and the need to quickly communicate while innovating for growth would be nearly impossible with traditional methods, and that's why Lotus collaboration software will continue to be incredibly useful to us, especially as we continue to solidify our company's position as a leader in the financial services industry."
Makes lots of sense, given the recent TCO math (see my previous blog entries) that shows a reduction in TCO by more than 37% if you adopt IBM Lotus collaboration software rather than Microsoft sharepoint, and office communications server.
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  microsoft exchange 2010 binarytree symphony migrate notes outlook cmt domino occs 3,643 Views
Many of you may remember this tool from Binarytree: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/lotus/documentation/d-ls-dominoexchange/index.html
Sure they do the other way too. But looks like this way is getting hot: from Exchange to Domino...
Why not.. See how the math works here: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/offer/roi-calculator.html
Interesting study by CRN -- kind of a bakeoff between the latest and greatest, almost :-)
Evaluation criteria included installation and deployment, interoperability and customization, feature set, performance and pricing.
The winner is IBM Lotus Notes and Domino...
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  redhat windows tire notes lotus linux discount domino 2,920 Views
"The IT team originally tried building a new e-commerce system based on a Windows platform, but the solution did not meet Discount Tire’s performance, reliability and stability needs. Additionally, Discount Tire’s use of IBM Lotus Domino Server was a critical aspect of its daily ability to meet business demands. Previously running on Windows, the lack of reliability and consistent downtime of its Lotus software was critically impacting its day-to-day operations.
After extensive testing and load balancing, Discount Tire selected Red Hat Enterprise Linux for its critical systems. Since, the Red Hat Enterprise Linux platform has run Discount Tire’s entire e-commerce operation, as well as numerous internal applications, including its Lotus Domino application" Check out http://www.lotusonredhat.com
If you have a microsoft enterprise agreement up for renewal, consider the following before you commit:
"an Enterprise Agreement (EA) renewal for an enterprise with the main desktop suite on, say, 10,000 PCs could cost around $1,500,000 per year": says Forrester (see blog link below)...
1. Listen to this podcast on Cost reduction strategy for smarter collaboration: http://download.rbn.com/ibmpdc/pdc/open/podcasts/collaboration/smarter_collaboration.mp3
2. Read this Project Liberate white paper on how hundreds of customers have freed up Billions of Dollars by not renewing Microsoft Enterprise Agreements: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/lotus/lotusweb/Project_LiberateforCIOsFinal.pdf
3. Check this out from Forrester: http://blogs.forrester.com/cio/2009/02/should-i-renew.html
"So should you renew your EA? As you can see, there are a lot of factors to consider, so the answer is genuinely “it depends.” But consider this: Somewhere between 25% and 35% of customers don’t renew"
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  novell notes gruman galen redhat symphony occs domino software web open infoworld canonical social ubuntu 2.0 linux 3,811 Views
Well, we have been saying this for a while. And we have seen customer interest and adoption starting to trend in this direction for sure...
Check out this article by Galen Gruman in Infoworld: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=Linux+and+Unix&articleId=9128813&taxonomyId=122&pageNumber=1
"Essentially, desktop Linux makes sense as the desktop OS only for thoseemployees who do common work in Office and Web apps. But that's a lotof people."
"OpenOffice is a sound alternative to Microsoft Office, but I spent most of my time with the free IBM Lotus Symphony, which is a slightly better productivity suite than OpenOffice, in the InfoWorld Test Center's evaluation."
"many companies, government agencies, and educational institutions canchuck at least some of them. Those based on XP -- or Windows 2000,which still has a huge installed base in government agencies -- canlook to big savings on licensing, hardware, and training costs."
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  ubuntu red open domino ibm arrow csscorp linux notes client vads novell hat 3,937 Views
Check this out: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23370.wss
On a roll. Great momentum with Open Collaboration Client Solution (OCCS -- Lotus Notes, Lotus Symphony, etc.)
1. OCCS powered by SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop from Novell: More Customers, Value Added Resellers like Arrow in USA, Avnet in Italy generating leads for their partners. Live DVD from Novell: https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?lang=en_US&source=sw-pprod05&S_PKG=SW-LN8betaSUSElinux
2. Red Hat offering OCCS powered by RHEL from Red Hat: Marketing initiative for Business Partners
and Live DVD: http://rhx.redhat.com/rhx/support/article/DOC-2050
3. Lotus Notes support for Ubuntu (limited 8.0.1, full 8.5)
Lotus Symphony beta 4, Lotus Notes features, etc.: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23366.wss
Lotus Foundations: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23326.wss that leverages the Net Integration Technologies acquistion: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23325.wss runs on SLES from Novell.
Bluehouse SaaS suite of collaboration features: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23326.wss
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  bennett zealand notes exchange michael linux domino client mark open microsoft desktop new sampson 1 Comment 5,026 Views
According to Michael Sampson's blog (http://www.michaelsampson.net/2007/07/mark-bennett-on.html ) a Lotus Notes 5 customer in New Zealand is planning a roll-out of Notes 8."All of the Domino Servers run on Linux, and they are considering the roll-out of some Linux desktops. In terms of Notes 8, Mark says, "What exactly do our people need beyond Notes 8, the inbuilt productivity editors, and a browser?" In other words, Notes 8 paves the way for a move away from both a Windows desktop and Microsoft Office."
See also the IBM web page discussing the IBM open client solution on Linux: http://www.ibm.com/lotus/openclient[Read More]
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  notes vista apple open domino mac client portal odf websphere hat sametime microsoft linux windows expeditor eclipse novell red 4,127 Views
You might have seen the IBM announcement of its open client solution (http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/21060.wss ) - Lotus collaboration software (Lotus Notes 8 and IBM productivity tools with ODF support, Domino, Sametime, WebSphere Portal, Expeditor) and associated software services to support flexibility and choice for the customer around operating systems (Windows from Microsoft, Linux from Red Hat and Novell, Mac OS 10 from Apple - planned for Lotus Notes 8), platform devices, productivity editors (Microsoft Office on Windows, IBM Productivity Editors or open source products on Linux and Windows), alternatives for application development on thin/rich client (leverage Eclipse RCP). See IDC News Service: http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/02/12/HNibmlinuxopenclient_1.html
However, some are reporting that Microsoft is not very happy with this http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/microsoft_is_not_very_hapy_about_ibms_new.html
1. IBM financials for Y2006 show 30% revenue growth for Lotus software in Q4 and also 9 consecutive quarters of growth.
2. Open standards based software does provide flexibility and choice to the customer, ISVs, and Systems Integrators. Flexibility and choice is about operating systems, platforms, productivity editors, applications, collaboration software, application development, and rich/thin client. Microsoft products runs on Windows only, and often have complicated product inter-dependencies. According to Avinash Singh, COO of Birlasoft (http://www.birlasoft.com ), a Systems Integrator based out of New Jersey, "IBM's open client solution is very timely. It allows us to offer more value to our customers who either want to move to Linux desktops or drive a heterogeneous client strategy. This solution can help them reduce costs while increasing organizational productivity. It is all about offering flexibility and choice for our customers."
3. Customers are being Vista "challenged" in terms of cost of software, hardware, deployment, falling short of security features (http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2007/01/vista_firewall.html?chan=search ), printer and device drivers (http://www.enterprisenetworksandservers.com/newsflash/art.php?698 ). "MIT flunked Vista" recently (http://www.varbusiness.com/sections/news/breakingnews.jhtml;jsessionid=RLEG1GEALNJJIQSNDLOSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleId=197004760 ). Office 2007 requires end user training. Customers are also concerned about "after Vista what" -- I spend all this money and cant get locked out of innovation -- do i move to "Live"? when? Why not continue to stay on Windows XP or the like. Others say: I have to "migrate" anyways, so why not leverage Linux? As you may know, many experts are "OOXML challenged" also (http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070117145745854 )
4. Customers are also figuring out a way to free up lots of money in their IT budget by deciding to take alternative procurement strategies instead of renewing/signing Microsoft Enterprise Agreement - "a la carte vs buffet". So says several analysts and press (http://www-142.ibm.com/software/sw-lotus/lotus/general.nsf/wdocs/license )
So despite any criticism out there, my take is that the open client solution is real and deep and its all about bringing value, flexibility, ease and choice to customers.[Read More]
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  mysap lotus netweaver exchange duet amr office domino notes microsoft sap harmony datamonitor 4,269 Views
I came across this interesting article in Datamonitor, based on AMR research findings, on challenges in leveraging Duet. (http://www.computerwire.com/industries/research/?pid=5F04C21A-8AC3-42B9-865E-86458CACFE93)
The article points out the following challenges:
So what? Well, lets look at customers in Retail and Manufacturing industries. According to the Datamonitor aticle above, AMR, estimates only 29% of the SAP customers they surveyed have the prerequisite technology in place.
So why is it a no brainer for Lotus Notes customers?
Available since May 2006, there is no additional charge to Lotus Notes customers current on their maintenancce for access to the SAP solutions feature.
Check out this case study: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/lotus/lotusweb/lotusforsap/WPLC_for_SAP_Case_Studies.pdf
Note that we also have IBM Workplace for SAP software (http://www-142.ibm.com/software/workplace/products/product5.nsf/wdocs/workplaceforsap)[Read More]
Migrate to the Penguins - Opportunity for business partners to make money and Customers to reduce cost and get more value
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  groupwise microsoft exchange lotus money domino notes up partner trade penguin migrate rebate 3,872 Views
Migrate to the Penguin is a limited time only rebate program for eligible IBM Software Resellers who move customers from Microsoft Exchange and other competitive messaging platforms to Lotus Notes and Domino on Linux collaboration offerings. Eligible IBM Software Resellers can receive a rebate for each seat of qualifying "trade up" licenses, up to a maximum of 1,000 seats per Passport Advantage site number or Passport Advantage Express site number.
So here is the 1 2 3 Punch!
1. IBM Lotus is winning Customers from Microsoft
In the last two years, IBM has migrated nearly 3,000 customers from Microsoft Exchange and other email and messaging platforms to Lotus Notes and Domino.
IBM's Linux-based email and other collaboration software sales revenue grew more than 200% year-to-year. Customers are benefitting from the Domino 7 performance improvements on Linux compared to Domino 6.5 (400% Notes Bench - http://www.notesbench.org/bench.nsf?OpenDatabase - performance improvement and 50% more users supported).
Many customers are adopting open standards and J2EE based middleware to help ensure interoperability and leverage flexibility and choice.
Some customers are funding mission critical initiatives using money saved by not renewing/signing Microsoft enterprise agreements.
Since the last release of Microsoft Exchange, we have shipped 4 versions of Lotus Notes and Domino - What is out there for Exchange is old and what is coming has been delayed and, we believe, very expensive.
Platforms like Linux offer our customers security and scalability, while some users of competitive, proprietary products are tired of installing security patches and managing rooms full of servers.
2. Here is the Partner value proposition
From the Washington Post: IBM Makes A Play at Microsoft Customers (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/29/AR2006032902155.html)
"International Business Machines Corp. said it will roll out an aggressive strategy today to lure business customers away from rival Microsoft Corp.,offering bounties [rebates] of up to $20,000 to sales partners who can persuade companies to make the switch....Peter O'Kelly, an industry analyst with the Burton Group in Boston, said the move shows a much more aggressive side of IBM..."
3. Get in the Ring!
Migrate to the Penguin Program is in execution
A very aggressive migration offering, this is a limited time only rebate program for eligible IBM Software Resellers who move customers from Microsoft Exchange and other competitive messaging platforms to Lotus Notes and Domino on Linux collaboration offerings. Eligible IBM Software Resellers can receive a rebate for each seat of qualifying "trade up" licenses, up to a maximum of 1,000 seats per Passport Advantage site number or Passport Advantage Express site number. The rebate offers $20 per qualified seat with a maximum rebate of $20,000 per IBM Business Partner. Visit the Migrate to the Penguin program web page for more information: http://www.ibm.com/software/sw-lotus/movetolinux.
Migration tools for Notes and Domino 7
IBM Business Partner Binary Tree (http://www.binarytree.com/website/msg/home.nsf/vContentW/CMT+For+Notes--CMT+For+Notes!Opendocument&migrateFrom=Exchange&migrateTo=Notes ) and other IBM Business Partners offer Migration Tools to help with the move from Microsoft Exchange to Lotus Notes Domino, and their case studies posted on their website point to superior collaboration as one of the many reasons customers make the switch. More than 3000 customers have leveraged the Binary Tree tool! According to Binary Tree, they have helped migrate more than 5 million users from Microsoft Exchange to Lotus Notes and Domino since 1995 (http://www.binarytree.com/website/msg/home.nsf/vcontentw/CMT+For+Notes--CMT+Exchange+To+Notes+Customers+Only!Opendocument ).
1 2 3 and Punch!Migrate Microsoft Exchange customers to Lotus Notes and Domino on Linux -- Make money through this promotion.
IBM Lotus Business Partners News page: http://www-142.ibm.com/software/sw-lotus/partners/cwebp.nsf/wdocs/bpnews
Partnerworld Linux web site: http://www-1.ibm.com/partnerworld/pwhome.nsf/weblook/pub_ben_pat_linux_learn.html[Read More]
Merrill Lynch Survey: Around half of CIOs may not renew MS Enterprise Agreement in 2006! SOA in, Vista out?
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  portal ms websphere enterprise notes soa domino survey lotus vista agreement 3,519 Views
Check this out article in eWeek: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1961455,00.asp
Survey: SOA In, Vista Out Larry Dignan, 05/12/06
Merrill Lynch surveyed 76 CIOs in April and released the survey on May 12th 2006.
So what is the big deal?
Well, two points to note:
How does one add Lotus Domino in a SOA environment without changing the Domino Applications?
Here are some ways:
How about SOA and WebSphere Portal? Mobile devices?
Register for IBM SOA Development Survival Guide: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info/sdp/soaguide/index.jsp?S_CMP=swhpfeature
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  notes wmc lotus smart odf client hannover eclipse 42 Comments 9,385 Views
IBM has been shipping WebSphere Everyplace Deployment (WED http://www-306.ibm.com/software/pervasive/ws_everyplace_deployment/), and Workplace Managed Client (http://www-142.ibm.com/software/workplace/products/product5.nsf/wdocs/workplaceclienttech ) with ODF (http://www-142.ibm.com/software/workplace/products/product5.nsf/wdocs/wmcodf ) supported productivity editors (for WMC) and ability to compose applications in an open standards based environment. This is based on open standards technology (Workplace Client Technology: Eclipse based http://www.eclipse.org, OSGi components http://www.osgi.org) that empowers application composition using open programming model. OSGi specification allows software components to be installed, updated, and removed on the fly without having to disrupt the operation of the device. The Eclipse SDK comprises of platform, java development tools, and plug-in development environment. It is one of the leading java IDE as well as application development tool (http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Whitepaper-Platform-3.1/eclipse-platform-whitepaper.html).
IBM will be offering similar capabilities with the future version of Lotus Notes (codenamed "Hannover" ). IBM announced the following on 5/15:
Meanwhile, Microsoft has been talking about "Smart Client" technologies for few years: http://msdn.microsoft.com/smartclient/ . As per Microsoft definition: "Smart client isn't a technology, and it isn't any specific architecture. It is a style of application that combines the best of both Windows applications and web applications." - http://msdn.microsoft.com/smartclient/community/scfaq/default.aspx#88iuzuc8 .
1. Open standards support - including development platform, programming model
2. Flexibility and Choice of devices/platforms, operating systems, thin/thick clients for collaboration
3. Server managed Client: intelligent installation, updates, Provisioning based on rules: IBM leverage OSGi and Eclipse
4. Disconnected usage and Replication:
5. Productivity Editors
6. Contextual, Improve collaboration IBM: Activity computing paradigm provides context as well as a paradigm shift towards improved collaboration. Role based execution of business processes.
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  mendocino soa harmony notes sap lotus workplace duet microsoft 3,036 Views
IBM announced IBM Workplace for SAP Software and IBM Lotus Notes access for SAP solutions. Drawing on IBM's Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) technologies, these products (part of an IBM initiative called Project Harmony) would be music in customer's ears. Want to know why?
Rich client: IBM Lotus Notes access for SAP Solutions - Feature1. Investment protection; No additional cost to Lotus Notes 7.0.1 customers - No need to even upgrade your SAP system - Supports SAP R/3 4.6C. It does NOT require Netweaver 2004. - New feature of Lotus Notes 7.0.1 software. - Certain current licensees of Lotus Notes for Collaboration can download this feature from IBM Passport Advantage website
2. This new feature includes pre-packaged templates that makes SAP data more accessible and useful. - New and modified Lotus Notes Template Files (NTFs) - Uses LotusScript to define the integration - Files needed to access and make remote function calls against the SAP system from the Lotus Notes Client are included - Lotus Connector LotusScript Extension (Lotus Connector LSX) - Lotus Connector for SAP Solutions (license only for Lotus Notes client and NOT the Lotus Domino server)
3. Continue to leverage the security, disconnected usage, and replication feature of Notes when using it to access SAP data.
4. Integrate business processes that exist in both SAP appplications and Lotus Notes into a single, familiar user experience within Lotus Notes. True workflow integration: - Vacation/Leave request: - Employee requests vacation or leave time from manager using Lotus Notes calendar and Lotus Notes email - Approved time is automatically recorded in the SAP application - Follow on action items such as scheduling - Time reporting: Use Lotus Notes calendar to report billable/other time to SAP applications - based on project codes stored in SAP. - Query and selectively submit billable time to SAP in real time. This works both online and offline. - Report Generation: Schedule or run a SAP report using the Lotus Notes client. - Contact Management: Look up contact information from mySAP HR and CRM applications and add it to personal contacts in Lotus Notes. - SAP workflow integration: Review and process SAP workflow items using the Lotus Notes client. More including Employee Self-service/Manager Self-service, and meeting scheduling is expected to be made available in Lotus Notes 7.0.2 maintenance release targeted for Q3,2006.
visit http://www.ibm.com/lotus/notesforsap for more information
Thin Client (web browser): IBM Workplace for SAP Software1. Integrates views from various applications based on Role and business process.2. Integrates SAP applications with IBM collaboration technology.3. Provides pre-built adapters for SAP and other widely used applications.4. Augment the user experience of IBM Workplace for SAP Software with scorecards, dashboards, alerts, e-forms, instant messaging, teamrooms, presence awareness, and document /content management.5. Provides transparency to the end user in terms of technology migration and upgrades
And in general:1. An ecosystem of services organizations ranging from IBM business partners to IBM Software Services for Lotus and IBM Global Business Services and associated SAP practice resources are available for customization.2. IBM Workplace family of products including Lotus Notes Domino, WebSphere Portal, Workplace Managed Client, support integration of non SAP applications also.3. Continue to leverage current Lotus Notes integration with MS Office.[Read More]