Social Business transformation
Are you looking for a RIA strategy? a single programming model that can span zero footprint web browser based to rich fat client based application development?
Download IBM® Lotus® Expeditor V6.2 toolkit at no charge to seehow easily you can leverage your OSGi™ foundation and Eclipse™ platformskills to develop and extend composite applications to managed clients-- used online or offline: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/ls/lxpd/
Lotus Notes, Sametime, Symphony, etc are all based on Expeditor. This allows easy support of OS (Linux, Mac OS, Windows) and platforms...
And the Integrator: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/products/expeditor/integrator.html.
"Lotus Expeditor integrator software provides a lightweight integrationhub for remote locations – such as retail outlets, bank branches orremote offices. The software enables straightforward business andapplication integration of the enterprise central office with itsbranch offices in a reliable, flexible and managed way. And it can evenbe deployed with limited hardware and software resources and with no ITmanagement at remote locations."
AntonySatyadas 1100009CNT Tags:  microsoft sharepoint gates services lotus middleware global exchange domino websphere ibm bto 4,407 Views
Quote from Bill Gates at the Microsoft Sharepoint Conference recently (http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/speeches/2006/05-15sharepoint.asp): "And so we've been very lucky that as IBM has had a discontinuity, that they're saying, well, your Notes applications aren't going to continue to run, we want you to move to a new environment, which is some WebSphere type thing, people have had to step back and say, okay, it's not the best messaging system, Exchange has been totally focused on those scenarios, and it's not the best collaboration platform because it's sort of stuck as a pretty good messaging platform and a pretty good collaboration platform."
Gates went on to say when people think about comparisons of Microsoft and IBM/Lotus they should not think just about Exchange. "For messaging, Exchange is the best system, but we never turned Exchange into a collaboration platform. SharePoint is clearly our collaboration platform."
Gates was quoted last year saying:
Fortune: How much has Microsoft wanted to beat Notes?
Gates: There are two ways to think of Notes. One is as an e-mail product, and the other is as a deep collaboration product. Microsoft competed with Notes as e-mail. We never matched Notes in some of the collaborative features.
So, according to Gates: Notes Domino is a pretty good messaging and collaboration platform. Exchange is the best system for messaging and not the best system for collaboration. Sharepoint Server 2007 is/will be the best collaboration platform?
So, here are the Top 10 reasons why IBM does pose a competitive threat to Microsoft!!!
10. IBM offers choice of server platform, operating system and devices. Microsoft doesnt. Vista is delayed, and IBM supports Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and p/z/i/x series platforms!
9. IBM is now offering a choice of desktop - with Linux and software that meets customer needs - The mantra is flexibility and choice, Investment Protection.
8. IBM offers choice for Productivity tools: targeting under and over provisioned users, which based on popular user segmentation model, is more than 90% of the desktop users!!
7. IBM productivity editors, like many others in the marketplace, but for Microsoft Office, supports ODF. ODF has been voted to be an ISO International Standard. While Microsoft is active with OpenXML, analysts such as Gartner doubt if this will make it to an ISO standard!
6. IBM has products (WED, Workplace Managed Client) that provide desktop the ability to leverage Server and network resources, while supporting disconnected use -- best of both worlds: thin and rich client capabilities. The next release of Lotus Notes (codenamed "Hannover") is real code. Code talks! See http://www-03.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/AntonySatyadas?entry=ibm_new_notes_client_is
5. Several IBM customers are coming back to IBM after trying out Microsoft Exchange and Sharepoint. The Migrate to the Penguin initiative is gaining momentum.
4. Solutions offered by IBM Global Technology and Business services address customer transformation needs end-end. The emerging BTO models are forcing Microsoft to speed up their "Live" capabilities! The Strategic Outsourcing team currently host millions of users of messaging and collaboration capabilities.
3. IBM software solutions offer an attractive TCO. Large, early adopters of .Net are moving to J2EE.
2. Product delays, product inter-dependencies, high costs, and customer education may drive more customers not to renew Microsoft Enterprise Agreements! See reference to Merrill Lynch survey details in eWeek: See http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1961455,00.asp and http://www-03.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/AntonySatyadas?entry=merrill_lynch_survey_around_half.
1. IBM and open source are challenging Microsoft's monopoly of the desktop! Meanwhile IBM continues to innovate to improve organizational productivity, self-service, automation.. Server managed Client, Activity computing, Role based execution of business processes, Component Business Model, Service Oriented Architecture, ... the list continues...[Read More]