The department of management sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, in association with NIC, conducted the first National Seminar on Open Document Format, on June 23rd. The event focused on the impact of ODF on India and the Indian governments. IBM, TCS, Red Hat, Novell and other members of India-ODF Alliance as well as institutions like IIT Bombay, CDAC, OSSRC, ICEG, ODFAlliance, and IIM Ahmedabad participated.
Inaugurating the seminar as its Chief Guest, Mr. R. Chandrashekhar – Additional Secretary, MCIT, Govt. of India, welcomed the initiative and emphasized the need to adopt open standards as well as ODF – specifically in national e-governance projects.
Some of the key presentations made at the National ODF Seminar included:
- Role of ODF in E-Governance – Mr. R. Chandrashekhar (Additional Secretary, MCIT, Govt of India)
- Relevance of ODF for Indian industry – Rajdeep Sahrawat, VP, NASSCOM
- Economic Impact of ODF – Prof Dass, IIM Ahmedabad
- Role of ODF in Common Service Centre (CSC) project – Ms. Aruna Sundarajan, IL&FS/NeGP
- The ‘Tamil Nadu’ experience – Mr. Umashankar, MD, ELCOT
- Impact of ODF on India – Mr. B Singh, Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
- ODF & E-Governance – Dr. M. Moni, National Informatics Centre (NIC)
EFY News Network (India) National Seminar On Open Document Format, http://www.efytimes.com/fullnews.asp?edid=12519