1. low cost Microsoft desktop alternative
- opportunity for business/governments to free up significant money in IT budget that can self fund mission critical initiatives
2. options include
- Lotus Symphony and LotusLive iNotes/Connections on Ubuntu on Netbooks
- Lotus Symphony, Lotus Notes/iNotes, Lotus Connections, Lotus Sametime, on Ubuntu / Red Hat on desktops/laptops
- options to add Virtual linux desktops using VERDE from Virtual Bridges
- use IBM BPM modeling tool and SOA services offered by IBM/Business Partners
- IBM Global Technology Services End User Services, IBM/Canonical Business Partner services
3. Community in Lotus Greenhouse for IBM Academic Initiative faculty members
"The IBM Client for Smart Work offers university faculty, administration and students a Linux-based unified communication, collaboration and information exchange platform that potentially will facilitate sought after campus synergies," said Jeffrey A. Lasky, Professor and Chair, Department of Information Sciences and Technologies, GCCIS, Rochester Institute of Technology.
"Canonical is proud to partner with IBM to help open up the American corporate desktop through Ubuntu," said Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Ubuntu and CEO of Canonical. "IBM's smart client package running on Ubuntu will allow U.S. organizations the financial freedom to redistribute the costs of expensive software licenses into IT projects that will innovate and drive critical growth."
"If a company is a 'Windows shop,' at some point it will need to evaluate the significant costs of migrating its base to Microsoft's next desktop," said Bob Picciano, General Manager, IBM Lotus Software. "American businesses have asked for a compelling alternative that can help them free up PC expenses to use for more strategic collaboration and business transformation projects."
For example, the IBM Client for Smart Work can equip the members of a company's marketing, sales and research departments with the means to quickly and efficiently collaborate. Business process modeling (BPM) can show workflows between sales and marketing, but very little between sales and research or marketing and research. Based on expertise residing in those functions and informal networks discovered through modeling, a company could find powerful insights from research playing an important role in sales and marketing efforts. It may turn out that an expert in R&D might be a company's greatest resource for marketing content, but this expertise has to be identified and shared in order to provide the highest value to the organization. Through online communities on LotusLive.com, this kind of insight can be tapped as needed for the benefit of an entire organization.
Companies can use the IBM BPM suite components such as WebSphere Dynamic Process Edition as required. Business leaders and business analysts can discover and explore business-relevant content to help them understand, experience, and accelerate business process management using IBM BPM BlueWorks.