'If you are a organisation who has invested heavily on the IBM Lotus Notes/Domino platform, you may currently have a few concerns. What is the future of your Communications and Collaboration platform now that IBM have announced the withdrawal of support for Release 5 and the impending withdrawal of Release 6 support?"
IBM customer support data shows that 90% of our customers are currently using 6.5.x and/or 7.0.x. Extended support contracts are available past the support date.
- Lotus Notes/Domino 5.0 was launched in 1999. Support ended 2005.
- Lotus Notes/Domino 6.0 was launched in 2002. Support for 6.0.x has been announced to end, April 30, 2007.
- Lotus Notes/Domino 6.5 was launched in 2003. This release is in market and no withdrawal announcements have been made.
- Lotus Notes/Domino 7.0 was launched in 2005. This release is in market and no withdrawal announcements have been made.
- In addition, IBM announced the next version of Lotus Notes/Domino (code named Hannover), that will include productivity editors with ODF support, activity computing and other Web 2.0 innovations.
So the IBM vision and strategy, and product roadmap is clear. There are no forced upgrades. Each release is planned to further improve the TCO, and augment capabilities based on customer requirements.