I came across this interesting article in Datamonitor, based on AMR research findings, on challenges in leveraging Duet. (http://www.computerwire.com/industries/research/?pid=5F04C21A-8AC3-42B9-865E-86458CACFE93)
The article points out the following challenges:
- Need SAP ERP 2004, Netweaver, Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Office 2003 Professional
So what? Well, lets look at customers in Retail and Manufacturing industries. According to the Datamonitor aticle above, AMR, estimates only 29% of the SAP customers they surveyed have the prerequisite technology in place.
So why is it a no brainer for Lotus Notes customers?
Available since May 2006, there is no additional charge to Lotus Notes customers current on their maintenancce for access to the SAP solutions feature.
- No additional software is needed on the Lotus Domino server,
- SAP NetWeaver is not needed, and typically no changes to the SAP system will be required
- Mature and proven technology - Built on existing Lotus Connector for SAP software
- True business value - Provides independence through workflow and collaboration integration
- Immediate time to value -Includes both out-of-box capabilities and samples that show how to leverage and extend these functions using Lotus application development tools
- Facilitates improved decision making -Integrates collaborative capabilities with business processes and workflows
- Minimum training cost -Leverages a familiar user interface to introduce new capabilities, leading to a higher degree of business process automation across the organization
- Rapid deployment -Installs easily on existing SAP systems and Lotus Notes and Domino applications
Check out this case study: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/lotus/lotusweb/lotusforsap/WPLC_for_SAP_Case_Studies.pdf
Note that we also have IBM Workplace for SAP software (http://www-142.ibm.com/software/workplace/products/product5.nsf/wdocs/workplaceforsap)