I had great discussions at Impact 2014 on DevOps, SmartCloud Orchestrator, SoftLayer, BlueMix and so much more. One of the most common topics I was asked about was how SmartCloud Orchestrator relates to PureApplication System. SmartCloud Orchestrator shares common pattern technology with PureApplication System allowing the same pattern to be moved between environments, and it also provides orchestration capabilities that can be used directly with PureApplication to add significant capabilities to your cloud environments. These orchestration capabilities are built by purposing IBM Business Process Manager for your cloud orchestration needs.
Based on experience with PureApplication System customers, here are my top five reasons to consider adding SmartCloud Orchestrator:
- Data center integration. In all likelihood, your PureApplication deployments are not self-contained on the rack. The orchestration engine within SmartCloud Orchestrator is perfect for adding external coordination to tie your patterns to external sources. For example, you can build a workflow within the orchestrator to deploy a pattern on PureApplication and after the deployment to open the corresponding ports in your firewall and update your CMDB. Orchestrator provides pre-built integrations for network, storage, change management, pattern deployment, etc that are readily adaptable for PureApplication System. The Process Designer within Orchestrator can be used to build any additional, custom integration into your data center.
- Manual process integration. While your goal may be full automation, most customers I speak with still have some manual process steps, including approval processing. The Process Designer supports “human tasks” within the workflows so if necessary you can keep the peace by getting the security guys approval before opening that port.
- Self-Service Offerings. If you want to offer a simplified or highly customized catalog to your PureApplication patterns, the SmartCloud Orchestration catalog provides this. The catalog links to your workflows, allowing you to control user experience. In addition, you can use the same catalog to launch services outside of PureApplication, such as storage as a service.
- Cross rack orchestration. If you have multiple PureApplication racks, you can use Orchestrator to provide any additional cross rack coordination not built into PureApplication. For example, establishing a highly available application by deploying the application on two racks and integrating both deployments to the same load balancer.
- Cross cloud orchestration. You may have workloads that are better fitted to run outside of PureApplication, in environment such as a PureApplication Services on SoftLayer or on KVM OpenStack. SmartCloud Orchestrator provides OpenStack and EC2 integration, and includes the same pattern deployment capabilities as PureApplication so you can share assets. The Self-Service offerings can broker deployments into either PureApplication or other on or off-premise clouds, with decision rules to choose the best fit for a particular request, and even move or burst to across clouds.
These are just a few reasons to consider adding SmartCloud Orchestrator to your IBM PureApplication System. Here’s a short video showing you how easy it is to integrate PureApplication deployments into SmartCloud Orchestrator. You can download the SmartCloud Orchestrator Content Pack for PureApplication System. Get more information on SmartCloud Orchestrator and go hybrid by checking out PureApplication Services on SoftLayer or get a 30 day trial on SoftLayer.