What is Big Data? It's one of those keywords that has become increasingly prevalent as our use and consumption of information has become more demanding and all-encompassing. In an attempt to keep up to date on the ever changing areas of technology, I've been reading up on the topic. Here's a summary of what I've found to be the basics.
"The term Big Data applies to information that can't be processed or analyzed using traditional processes or tools."
IBM defines Big Data by three characteristics: volume, variety,
What does this mean?
- Volume: The sheer amount of information collected on a daily or even hourly basis by organizations is massive, reaching to petabytes. Imagine having to analyze and sift through for nuggets of relevant data.
- Variety: Data is being collected from a whole range of sources, from sensors to smart devices, emails to documents, social media forums, etc. Combined, these data generators bring in both traditional and raw data that may or may not be structured.
- Velocity: How fast is the data flowing? It's not enough to know how quickly it is being produced, stored, analyzed, but we also need to know how quickly the data will become obsolete.
As I continue to read up on the topic, I'll share my insights and discoveries with you. One of my key go-to sources is a fellow IBM-er, Lennart Frantzell, who writes for the Silicon Valley IBM Innovation Center blog
. Also, keep up-to-date on IBM's Big Data products and strategy by watching the videos at IBM Big Data on Youtube
Last week, we held the Partnering with IBM Big Data to Grow Your Business events at the Markham and Montreal IBM offices. Our speakers were IBM experts, Dr. Niu Bai* and Terri Gerber**, who spoke on the topics:
- Why Big Data? Why now?;
- The IBM Big Data Platform: Netezza (PureData), BigInsights, and Streams; and
- Big Data Use Cases
We were happy to have such a fantastic turnout at both events, with a mix of Systems Integrators, Independent
Software Vendors, Value Added
Distributors and customers providing a lively and constructive Q&A
session wrapping up the event with an opportunity to network with our
speakers during the reception.
For those of you who were unable to join us at the IBM Innovation Center for this event, our speakers have suggested some reading material and websites for you to familiarize yourself with Big Data and the IBM Big Data Platform over the holiday season. We look forward to hosting more Big Data events in the new year.
*Dr. Niu Bai is the Worldwide Business Development Lead for Big Data at IBM.
**Terri Gerber is the IBM Netezza Channel Manager, Big Data and Information Management.
Impact 2013 will provide an array of activities designed just for you,
including the IBM Business Partner Summit on Sunday, 28 Apr, 2013, the
Business Partner Cafe,
Be sure to take advantage of special promotions available to you. Save on registrations for your firm and bring clients at reduced rates, too.
Special Limited Time Offer for IBM Business Partners – Purchase by March 15th
Purchase this package for your customers and receive a Full Conference Pass for your company and a VIP Package! Promotion expires March 15th, 2013.
Purchase one of the volume discount pass package and bring your clients and team together at Impact. Be one of the first three Business Partners
to purchase this pass option and receive special incentives. This pass option can be used for multiple companies!
- 10 full conference passes for only $1700 per
pass – that’s $4,950 off the regular price. Allocate them to your
customers. Total cost = $17,000
- 20 full conference passes for only $1650 per pass -- that’s $10,900 off the regular price! Allocate to your customers. Total cost = $33,000
The VIP package you will receive includes one of each:
- Complimentary pass*
- Meal with Software Group Business Partner Executives
- Limo transportation to/from the Las Vegas McCarran Airport
- Meet and Greet with Matchbox 20
What you need to do: Business Partner Customer Passes can be purchased by contacting impactregistration@MaritzTravel.com.
* Complimentary Pass is pending IBM legal approval. Additional passes
can be purchased for $1,650 each after the purchase of a group discount.
Once payment is complete, you will receive a promotion code to enter
during registration. Offer is not valid when paying with co-marketing
dollars.Bring your customers, and you attend for less – Expires March 15th
Help us promote the educational benefits of attending Impact. For
every 5 customers registered with your Business Partner promo code,
company receives $500 off of a Business Partner full conference pass.
And that’s not all! Your customer can receive $100 off their
This promotion expires March 15th!
How to take advantage:
* Discount not applied if registration is part of an already discounted pass
- Register for the contest by sending an email to email@example.com. Please include your company name, contact name and phone number.
- You will receive a promotion code that your clients will need to use to register for Impact. We will include a logo for your website and invitation materials.
- Promote Impact! Ask clients to use the promotion code so they receive $100 off registration and the registration is credited to you!*
- Once your registration code hits 5, you will be sent a promotion code for your discounted pass.
Watch a video invitation from Mark Register, Vice President, IBM Software Business Partners and Midmarket on why you should attend.
Mark Register Invites You to Impact
The annual IBM Tech Trends study results have been published by developerWorks
and the IBM Center for Applied Insights
. Last year, the results showed that analytics, mobile, cloud, and social were the key technologies being developed. The 2012 results represent responses from over 1,200 IT decision-makers and 700 academics (both educators and students).
- Information about the state of analytics, mobile, cloud and social technologies.
- Who is really embracing newer technologies.
- How companies respond to opportunities and risks from new technologies.
- Why hiring for key IT skills is becoming increasingly difficult.
- What are the skill gaps in technology.
About IBM developerWorksibm.com/developerworks
IBM developerWorks is an industry-leading, award-winning technical resource and professional network for the developer community. Four million IT professionals, faculty and students across 195 countries use developerWorks each month to learn about advances in IT and open standards, develop skills, solve problems and work collaboratively with experts and peers.
About the IBM Center for Applied Insightsibm.com/smarter/cai/value
The IBM Center for Applied Insights introduces new ways of thinking, working and leading. Through evidence-based research, the Center arms leaders with pragmatic guidance and the case for change.
Last week, the IBM Innovation Center - Canada ran the pilot for the PureSystems Certification Preparation Workshop. This 3-day workshop focuses on the PureFlex System and includes sales and technical training on the first two days followed by testing on the final day.
Due to the popularity of the pilot event, we had to increase the
workshop size! A word from Steve Powell, Course Developer for IBM and the instructor for the pilot workshop:
"It was great to visit Toronto and meet so many dedicated Partners. We
had a lot of fun getting to grips with the certification test
requirements and I'm pleased to say many of our Partners are now
For those of you who were unable to join us last week,
we are holding 4 additional workshops in the coming weeks in Toronto,
Montreal, Calgary, and Vancouver. We look forward to having many of you attend the upcoming sessions.
Please do note that as this is a review course, attendees are expected
to be familiar with PureSystems and should study the materials in
advance and come prepared with any questions.
If you missed out on this workshop, visit the IBM Innovation Center website at http://ibm.biz/Bdx4sN
to register online and find out about our other events.
November seems to be the month for Big Data here in the Markham office. There are several events targeted towards IBM Business Partners coming up in the next month. If you haven't already heard about them, here they are:
Big Data Fundamentals Bootcamp
November 13 - 16, 2012
This bootcamp covers Big Data fundamentals, with focus on InfoSphere BigInsights. Learn how a Hadoop-based solution complements existing IM products and how BigInsights can be integrated into an existing enterprise environment. This session will also touch on the basics and fundamentals of other IM Big Data portfolio products such as InfoSphere Streams and Vivisimo Velocity.
- What is Big Data to IBM
- How to use Hadoop technology and related tools that are provided by InfoSphere BigInsights
- How to process streaming data to do real-time analysis and decision-making
- How IBM provides extensive enterprise class capabilities, security, performance, development and user tools
NOTE: This bootcamp is for IBM Business Partners only.
To register, visit: www.ibm.com/events/idr/idrevents/detail.action?meid=8636&ieid=3898
Big Data Developer Day
November 15, 2012
Participate in an exclusive Big Data Developer Day hosted by the IBM Big Data Development team. Experience IBM’s enterprise-class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data business challenges. The morning will include interactive discussions and live demonstrations of big data for social media and log analytics, then get hands on with Hadoop scripting and text analytics with guidance from development experts. This is a unique opportunity to develop skills and learn about exciting technologies and techniques that you can immediately take back to your organization.
To register, visit: www.ibmbigdatahub.com/event/big-data-developer-days
Partnering with IBM Big Data to Grow Your Business
November 27, 2012
In today’s world there is an ever increasing amount of data. Estimates point to data growing at 50 percent a year, or more than doubling every two years. It’s not just more streams of data, but entirely new ones. Businesses and government agencies are confronted with three dimensions of this Big Data challenge—volume, variety, and velocity. Of course, Big Data is more than a challenge; it is an opportunity to find insight in new and emerging types of data, to make your business more agile.
According to IDC, the market for Big Data technology and services will reach $16.9 billion by 2015, up from $3.2 billion in 2010. That is a 40 percent-a-year growth rate — about seven times the estimated growth rate for the overall information technology and communications business. Join us at the Toronto IBM Innovation Center to learn about the IBM Big Data solution portfolio and how you can take advantage of the great market opportunity highlighted by this IDC report. Learn how you can grow your business by integrating your solutions with IBM Big Data platforms and by creating practices around IBM Big Data solutions.
In a series of fact-filled presentations and demonstrations at this event, you will:
- Learn IBM’s Big Data strategy and platform
- See Big Data use cases
- Understand how IBM develops Big Data Partner ecosystem and the mutual benefits by partnering with IBM Big Data
- Network with peers and subject matter experts
Mobile is redefining the way organizations engage with customers, reconfiguring how work is done, and redesigning products and solutions being offered today. In an environment where mobile technology is becoming increasingly prevalent, organizations need to become a mobile enterprise now.
Earlier this week, IBM announced the IBM MobileFirst portfolio of mobile solutions at the 2013 Mobile World Congress. IBM MobileFirst allows you to connect all your resources to offer end-to-end mobile solutions. This comprehensive portfolio offers mobile solutions that provide:
- Strategy & Design Services: explore, assess, plan - create a customized mobile platform to match your current and future business and technology needs
- Platform: designed to offer flexibility and support to improve speed and delivery of mobile apps and multichannel web experiences
- Management: manage your mobile devices, data, applications, expenses, and services
- Security: gain peace of mind about your network's security while offering your employees the flexibility of BYOD (bring your own device)
- Analytics: redefine the end-to-end mobile customer experience
- Development and Integration Services: develop, deploy, integrate, manage and optimize technology in your mobile enterprise
Back in April, IBM announced the new family of expert integrated systems called IBM PureSystems. Since then, this revolutionary new product has been top-of-mind for IBMers and our Business Partners.
To quickly catch you up, these systems incorporate hardware, software, and applications with built-in expertise, integration by design, and offers a simplified IT experience. The current offerings include:
- PureFlex System: an infrastructure system that combines computing, storage, networking, virtualization and management and is expert at sensing and anticipating resource needs.
- PureApplication System: a platform system built for cloud and offers a simple and efficient experience putting you in control.
The IBM Innovation Centers (IICs) have been hosting PureSystems Business Partner Day events worldwide to get our Business Partners up-to-date on IBM PureSystems. Here in Canada, we have already hosted events in Toronto and Montreal. Both events were a success with over 180 Business Partners in attendance, and experts on IBM PureSystems speaking about the product and networking with independent software vendors, managed service providers, systems integrators, and resellers. We at the IIC Canada are working hard to get our Western Business Partners out to an event as well, so keep an eye out for a communication from the IIC.
Keep reading as we get our event plans lined up for the fall and start blogging about what you can expect on the agenda here at the IIC Canada. Check out what events are coming up at the IBM Innovation Centers around the globe: http://ibm.biz/Bdx4sN
Select IBM Business Partners are eligible for IBM Co-Marketing materials and funds. IBM Co-Marketing provides:
RTE Marketing Campaigns
- Guidance on how to use Co-Marketing tools to optimize Mid-Market campaigns
- Direct links to Co-Marketing assets, incentives and enablement
- Access to the latest Sales Plays and hot new Mid-Market solutions
This resource provides you with over 130 "ready to execute" campaign materials for Software Group, Systems Technology Group, and Midmarket that are easy to customize. These assets include:Execution Blueprints
Follow these blueprints to build and execute a campaign, access enablement resources, demand generation assets, and marketing offers.
Mid-Market Asset Gallery
Current IBM marketing materials to help you sell to your Mid-Market customers.
IBM Paid, Owned, Earned Guide
Learn from best practices for your customer-facing initiatives.
Access to PartnerWorld marketing programs.
IBM Co-Marketing Funding
Select Business Partners are also eligible for IBM co-marketing funds to help you execute your campaign.
Modificado por GraceMBarker
Are you familiar with the IBM Roadmaps?
Have you visited our Roadmap site?
Our solution roadmaps provide a step-by-step guide to help you get the most out of your relationship with IBM. Each roadmap provides an overview, resources to learn more, and actions you can take to help you succeed.
Join us on May 15, 2013 in Markham, Ontario for an event to familiarize you with our Roadmaps.
We will explore the Pure Systems Roadmap and how to best utilize it to take your product to the marketplace.
These Roadmap sessions are designed to help Business Partners utilize the roadmaps to navigate through IBM with a step by step process of what is required to take their product to market. They encompass the Learn, Build, Sell Model.
Date: May 15, 2013
3600 Steeles Avenue East
IBM Canada , D107
Register to join us for this most informative event.
For more information on Roadmaps, Visit our Roadmap Webpage
With all that IBM has to offer, how does one find their way from point A to point B?
To help you navigate your route, IBM has created a series of roadmaps that should help you along the way. Whether you're a Business Partner, Academic, IT professional, or entrepreneur, these roadmaps offer a step-by-step guide with an overview, resources to learn more, and actions that will help you succeed.
Roadmaps for Business Partners
- Industry roadmaps
- Cross-industry roadmaps
Roadmaps for IT professionals
Roadmaps for academia
- IBM roadmap for academia - Faculty
- IBM roadmap for academia - Students
Roadmaps for entrepreneurs
Visit the IBM Roadmaps website (http://ibm.biz/BdxrUX
) to learn more about the different routes you can take.
Partner with IBM to harness the power of Big Data
Faced with a variety of data you can't analyze? Is the velocity of your data overwhelming and you need decisions in real-time? Do you have an issue with the volume of data that needs to be analyzed? If any of these issues apply then you have a Big Data challenge and are missing opportunities!
With better big data, you can turn your data into trusted information that can be harvested to find new insight and to answer questions that in the past were beyond reach. Due to the popularity of this topic, we've scheduled our speakers to host this event in Montreal on November 29th in addition to our original event scheduled in Toronto for November 27th.
Come hear our industry experts share their real-world experiences to help you learn how to take control of your ever-growing supply of data and turn it into an enterprise source of knowledge.
2:30 - 3:00 PM Registration
3:00 - 4:00 PM Achieving Competitive Advantage through Big Data Analytics
4:00 - 5:00 PM IBM Big Data Platform: Real World Approach to Introducing Big Data Business Alignment
Strategy, Plan and Execution
5:00 - 6:00 PM Cocktail Reception
November 27, 2012
IBM Innovation Center - Toronto
3600 Steeles Avenue East, Markham ON L3R 9Z7
November 29, 2012
IBM Innovation Center - Montreal
1360 Rene-Levesque Boulevard West, 11th Floor, Montreal ON H3G 2W6
On October 9th, IBM announced the newest member of the PureSystems family. The PureData system encompasses the three core attributes of all PureSystems - built-in expertise, integration by design, and simplified experience - with a focus on big data. With today's focus on efficient management and speedy analysis of the vast quantities of data collected each minute, this new system offers three workload-optimized models:
- PureData Systems for Transactions
- PureData Systems for Analytics
- PureData Systems for Operational Analytics
Read more about this newest offering by reading the official IBM News Release at https://ibm.biz/Bdx24c.
What is the IBM Social Sentiment Index?
There are many forms of social data in today's world, blogs, online forums, Facebook, Twitter and other social media.
This has allowed everyone to be able to share thoughts and data and to influence opinions on products and services.
IBM has established the IBM Social Sentiment Index to amass and gauge public opinion from a range of social media.
By applying analytics and natural processing technologies, anyone who needs to find out more about consumer preferences,
market trends and brand awareness can do so with the help of this Index.
Recently on April 2, 2013 there was a study done using the IBM Social Sentiment index on Analysis of Traffic in Five
Canadian Cities. It appears that twitter is a forum to cope with commuting stress for some drivers.
IBM used analytics technology and Big Data to analyze the information collected through twitter from a large number
of comments that will be able to help cities plan their infrastructure to cope with growing congestion.
To read more on the recent traffic study and on the IBM Social Sentiment Index visit: ibm.biz/Bdxppi
Last week I reminded you of the IBM InterConnect 2012 event at Resort World Sentosa in Singapore which focuses on business-IT hot topics. This week, I'd like to bring to your attention the upcoming IBM Information on Demand 2012 conference.
IBM Information on Demand 2012
October 21 - 25, 2012
Mandalay Bay | Las Vegas
This 5-day conference will cover four key forums, include general and keynote speakers, opportunities to network with IBM executives and Business Partners, and experience products, services, and solutions.
- Participate in technical sessions at the IBM Information Management Forum
- Learn about Business Analytics at 5 key tracks: Business Intelligence, Predictive & Advanced Analytics, Performance Management, Risk Analytics, and Social Media & Customer Analytics
- Explore Enterprise Content Management through hands-on labs, deep dive sessions or directly from IBM subject matter experts
- Executives, managers, and decision makers are invited to cover business issues at the Business Leadership Forum
- General sessions and keynote speakers cover interesting and relevant topics with valuable insights