Not sure if y'all are aware, but IBM is pushing for us (IBMers) to use Lotus Symphony these days, saying that we have our our version of a word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software, and we should use it. Or as an executive said "drink our own champange". hmph. ANYWAYS.
First things first, Symphony is NOT Word. Will never BE Word, so you should stop expecting to BE Word. It's a word processor and can string characters together to form words, sentences, paragraphs. In that essence, Symphony does it's job.
But what if you need it to do something that Word does easily, intuitively? Like extract images from a doc file?
I ran into this scenario as our newest addition to our team did not have the Office suite installed and was working with Symphony. developerWorks offers up a Word document template for our authors that are not comfortable working in XML code. When the author use this file, they also insert their images in their document. They submit it to the editors, the editors submit it to us to figure out how to extract them.
Normally, if we were working with Word, we would simply save the Word doc as an HTML file, which would extract the images and we would move along. This time wasn't normal, this time our new addition would be trying to figure out a way to extract them from Symphony.
Symphony doesn't have a "save for web" option straight out of the box - did you know that? I didn't until I opened it and tried to work with it.
What you need is a plugin. I found it! Here! And the instructions on how to install a plugin in Symphony as well. No point in you trying to find it, when it's already been found.
Once installed you will see a button at the top that will start the process on converting your document to html.
Click the document button that has a globe on it.
Navigate to the location of the document file you want to covert to html, then click Ok.
It will then convet your doc file to html, extract the images in a png format and put them in a subdirectory called html. This html directory will be housed in the same directory as the source file.
It's really very simple, once you get it figured out, found, and installed.