IBM PL/I compiler team dedicates to offer a better support for you. As several new PTFs have been delivered, IBM PL/I compiler has released a new edition of Enterprise PL/I for AIX V3.1 technical docs.
Specifically, new updates including:
As the AIX compiler essentially matches the PL/I V4.4 z/OS compiler, this updated Language Reference book is identical to the PL/I for z/OS V4.4 book. Several new attributes, statements, built-in functions and built-in subroutines have been included, such as the ASSERT statement and the ALLOCATE built-in function, etc. For details, see Summary of changes
- The Using host variables topic under the SQL preprocessor part has a lot of updates. For details, see https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSY2VQ_3.1.0/com.ibm.aix.pli.doc/doc/PG/plone-yyy-uhv.htm#plone-yyy-uhv
- The new (NO)INCLUDE option controls whether the final pass of the compiler handles %INCLUDE and %XINCLUDE statements: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSY2VQ_3.1.0/com.ibm.aix.pli.doc/doc/PG/include.htm#include
- The IGNORE option has a new ASSERT suboption that instructs the compiler to ignore all ASSERT statements: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSY2VQ_3.1.0/com.ibm.aix.pli.doc/doc/PG/pli3pg0007.htm
- The new (NO)MSGSUMMARY option controls whether the compiler adds a summary of all messages that are issued during the compilation into the listing: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSY2VQ_3.1.0/com.ibm.aix.pli.doc/doc/PG/msgsummary.htm#msgsummary
- With the new CASERULES option, you can specify case rules for PL/I keywords. For example, you can specify the rule that all keywords must be in uppercase: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSY2VQ_3.1.0/com.ibm.aix.pli.doc/doc/PG/caserulesopt.htm
- The new DEPRECATENEXT option allows for staged deprecation of functions: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSY2VQ_3.1.0/com.ibm.aix.pli.doc/doc/PG/deprecatenext.htm#deprecatenext
- The RULES option has the following updates: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSY2VQ_3.1.0/com.ibm.aix.pli.doc/doc/PG/rules.htm#rules
- The RULES option now accepts (NO)CONTROLLED as a suboption that controls whether to flag the use of the CONTROLLED attribute.
- The RULES option now accepts (NO)LAXNESTED as a suboption that controls whether to flag programs where nested procedures exist between sections of executable code.
- The RULES option now accepts (NO)RECURSIVE as a suboption that determines whether to flag any use of the RECURSIVE attribute or any procedure that directly calls itself.
- The RULES(NOUNREF) option now accepts SOURCE | ALL as a suboption that determines whether to flag all unreferenced variables.
- The RULES(NOGOTO) option now accepts STRICT | LOOSE as a suboption that determines whether to flag any GOTO statement to a label constant.
- The STOP suboption has been removed.
- The (NO)XMI subtoption has been removed from the XINFO option: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSY2VQ_3.1.0/com.ibm.aix.pli.doc/doc/PG/xinfoopt.htm#xinfoopt
Messages and Codes
Since that the AIX compiler essentially matches the PL/I V4.4 z/OS compiler, the new Messages and Codes book is also identical to the PL/I for z/OS V4.4 book.
Along with the PL/I for AIX V3.1 Knowledge Center refresh, the V3.1 PDF files are also refreshed to include the updates above. You can find the latest V3.1 PDF files from the Enterprise PL/I for AIX library page at http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036734
Note: Only the English versions are refreshed. The Japanese versions will not be refreshed until the next product GAs.