The Ponemon 2015 Cost Of Data Breach Study is out and the picture, sad to say, has not improved over last year. This year's study shows that:
- The cost of a data breach is on the rise.
- Most countries saw an uptick in both in the cost per stolen or lost record and in the average total cost of a breach.
- Fewer customers remain loyal after a breach, particularly in the financial services industry.
- For many countries, malicious or criminal attacks have taken the top spot as the root cause of the data breaches experienced by participating companies.
- For the first time, the research reveals that having business continuity management involved in the remediation of a breach can help reduce the cost.
Marc Van Zadelhoof, VP of IBM Security Strategy was interviewed on CNBC about these latest findings: