I recently found myself in a tricky situation. I had built a demo using a back level version of the MDM Standard Edition engine. I had beautifully created some dummy data specific to the demo, which included a lovely complex set of hierarchical data specific to the scenario of the demo. I then discovered that I needed to utilize a feature from a newer version of the engine and thus would need to upgrade the engine.....oh no what about my data and beautifully crafted relationships contained within it?
Well, fortunately thanks to a colleague he explained a simple way to install the new version of the engine and point it to the current database, therefore leaving said beautifully crafted data untouched and usable from the upgraded engine. This solution worked beautifully from a demo perspective and meant I didn't have to re-create my data or go through some long winded export/import routine.
Here are the steps:
- From your current MDM Standard instance use workbench to run madunlunload. (So if we screw anything up we now have a backup of the data)
- Install the new version of MDM Standard Edition, into a different directory than your other instance.
Run madconfig create_datasource
- Use a different datasource name
- Crucially use the same database name used by your other MDM instance
Run madconfig create_instance
- Specify the newly created datasource at the appropriate prompt
- DO NOT bootstrap the database when prompted
Run madconfig upgrade_instance
- Select yes to make the various changes to the database. This process is updating various config rows in the MDS database to ensure it can work with the newer version of the engine.
This saved me a huge amount of time in my specific scenario and stopped me having to remember how to configure the Individual sample data and link the entities....something that once I have to go through again I will blog about, but from memory it involved mpxdatx, mpxcomp, mpxlink and mdaunlload.