IBM Spectrum Protect is IBM's Copy Data Management solution, providing capabilities for Business Continuity Data Protection, Business Compliance Archiving and Hierarchical Storage Manager (HSM). IBM Spectrum Protect, formally known as Tivoli Storage Manager, is continually evolving with IBM's $1b investment in Storage Products and Capabilities. The latest release, delivered in 3Q15, provides significant performance improvements, with a tested ingestion rate of 100TB/day of de-duplicated data (up 10x from earlier versions) on an infrastructure based on the latest IBM Published Blueprint.
Additionally, this latest release now leverages Cloud File Object storage, providing a Hybrid Cloud Data Protection capability, with Spectrum Protect Server leveraging storage on-premise (perhaps for performance, location reasons), and some storage off-premise in the cloud (perhaps for cost, mobility reasons).
Spectrum Protect Overview
Five things you should know about IBM Spectrum Protect is:
- IBM is the leader in data reduction for Data Protection, starting with the original concept of "Incremental Forever Backups" from the original release of Spectrum Protect (then known as Adstar Storage Manager - aka ADSM).
With modern technology and capabilities, this data reduction capability has grown to leverage Client or Server De-Duplication (with either Inline or Post Processing) as well as the ability to leverage on premise and off premise storage cost effectively, while still handling modern workload requirements.
- Spectrum Protect evolves as your business changes. Regardless whether the data protection management grows due to organic business growth, business mergers and acquisitions, or if the infrastructure itself changes as a result of exploiting modern technology, Spectrum Protect is the only solution that enables you to completely change the architecture or the infrastructure itself without comprising access to data.
We know that data outlives the infrastructure, especially when new technology components make the infrastructure more efficient and cost effective, so you don't need to stay on old infrastructure! We have customers who have stored data in Spectrum Protect on versions that existed 7+ years ago, and can recover that data from today's infrastructure (that didnt exist 7+ years ago), on today's current version!
- Requires the lowest cost infrastructure of all available Copy Data management solutions on the market, and IBM can demonstrate it. Our analysis of over 1000 sites using other products in the market, has shown that on average the infrastructure savings as a result of managing less data, using less servers, storage and network is between 45-54%. These savings not only result in less cost to the business, but also mean less hours in the day are required to manage Business Continuity, Archive and HSM data.
- Leveraging de-duplication and our new optimized container storage pools, a single Spectrum Protect server can manage 1 PB of data, which represents 4-5 PB of data from clients, while keeping the Spectrum Protect database less than the current tested limit of 4TB in size. This is the key capability, is why Spectrum Protect can manage more data, using less infrastructure.
- IBM have produced Spectrum Protect Blueprints to help create a building block architecture to a Spectrum Protect deployment. These building blocks enable you to scale up your Copy Data Protect capability as your Copy Data Management requirements grow, with the additional ability to scale out any existing environment to address required performance rates.
You can even use your Storage Hardware to help with your Data Protection and Archive requirements, enabling you to reduce the impact of those activities on the systems that you are protecting, and offload that work to other systems.
For more information on what you need to do to upgrade to the latest version of Spectrum Protect, or to see what improvements a Spectrum Protect environment will provide you, please reach out to your local IBM Sales Representative or IBM Business Partner, or contact me directly.
S&D, IBM Systems HW Sales
WW Storage Technical Sales leader