IBM Storage Insights is a cloud-based offering from IBM Service Engage. It provides a web interface that lets you quickly see information about storage system utilization and usage by application or department. It also helps you find allocated but unused storage, forecasts data growth, and makes recommendations for tier placement. If you have supported IBM Storage, you can sign up for a free trial.
IBM Spectrum Control Storage Insights Dashboard
Here are five things to know about IBM Storage Insights:
- It starts working in minutes. You can set it up in as little as 5 minutes and receive actionable insights in as little as 30 minutes.
- It is designed for small and medium businesses and for small environments where the complexity of an on-premise solution is not required. Storage Insights is designed to let you view information and recommendations, but does not provide capability to change your environment.
- The following Insights views are unique to Storage Insights:
- Capacity forecasts capacity growth based on empirical data such as historical growth rates and available capacity. It provides a details view of device capacity utilization, thin provisioning, and compression savings.
- Performance displays an integrated view of all the storage systems performance with drill-down capabilities to facilitate performance-related troubleshooting.
- Reclamation identifies provisioned but unused capacity.
- Tier Planning helps you optimize data placement by providing retiering recommendations.
- It is managed from the cloud and receives new features and updates automatically. The only software that you deploy is a data collector, which requires no manual configuration.
- No data is sent to IBM and your system configuration is not changed. Storage Insights views only metadata, not data. One-way communication is sent to IBM via a secure channel.
For more information, including deployment and usage scenarios, read REDP-5215, Regain Control of your Environment with IBM Storage Insights.