IBM COPLINK (COPLINK) software is designed to help law enforcement organizations solve crimes faster, keep officers safer and disrupt crime and terrorism. COPLINK helps to consolidate data from many sources, aid collaboration, and generate tactical leads. It enables law enforcement professionals to generate photo lineups, save their search history, and organize investigations to generate reports more easily. And, COPLINK provides comprehensive auditing of data access.
Graphical representation of COPLINK basic search by using Visualizer
Providing advanced analysis capability using artificial intelligence technologies, COPLINK addresses many of the problem areas commonly found in law enforcement information systems.
The IBM Redguide™ publication Accelerating Law Enforcement Investigations with IBM COPLINK describes the IBM COPLINK business value and the solution capabilities, This guide is intended as an introduction for law enforcement executives and those evaluating advanced law enforcement software solutions for their organizations.
Here are 5 things you should know about IBM COPLINK:
- Accelerates law enforcement investigations
IBM® COPLINK software helps law enforcement officers to:
- Discover investigative case leads by organizing and providing tactical and command-level access to vast quantities of seemingly unrelated data.
- Perform crime pattern analysis by visualizing and analyzing data on maps through time-sequence playback.
- Save time with access to disparate heterogeneous law enforcement data correlated in one system.
- Ensure data protection and auditability with security-rich features including password protection and data encryption.
- Put information where officers need it with data search capabilities at the desk, in the car, or on foot with a mobile device.
- Improve community and officer safety by providing intelligence and situational awareness of persons, locations and vehicles.
- Consolidates information for efficient investigations: COPLINK database server
Underlying the COPLINK user interface is a comprehensive consolidation database called the COPLINK database server. The COPLINK database server receives, sorts, consolidates, indexes, and stores data from disparate data sources. The COPLINK database server operates on a modern relational database management system (RDBMS). The COPLINK database system is scalable and it is capable of meeting the needs of thousands of networked users.
Query results are based on the business rules and security policies established by each node. This node architecture and the restriction options mitigate the issues of multi-state law enforcement information sharing.
It is common that data sources in adjacent jurisdictions contain many persons, vehicles, locations, weapons, and other objects in common. Using consolidation algorithms, COPLINK consolidates these objects. Thus, a person who is common to disparate underlying data sources is shown as one person with a number of associated documents.
- Enables information sharing across multiple agencies
The basis of the COPLINK system is the node. A node is a COPLINK system hosted by a single agency or a consortium of agencies. These agencies individually decide what data is shared with the COPLINK node, and if that data has any user-access restrictions. COPLINK nodes can be connected to each other; users can select to query any or all other nodes.
- Modular design: Integrated modules, one solution
A suite of modules provides the COPLINK capabilities that address key use cases for law enforcement. The modular approach allows law enforcement agencies to deploy only the modules that they need based on requirements, priorities, or budget. This modular design allows COPLINK to integrate with many parts of an organization's preexisting information structure. Additionally, COPLINK can be deployed in phases according to an agency's most pressing needs. The main COPLINK modules and primary capability provided by each are:
- Tactical lead generation: COPLINK Detect
- Manage and audit: COPLINK Administration
- Automated alerts and collaboration: COPLINK Active Agent
- Uncover hidden associations: COPLINK Visualizer
- Develop strategies to fight crime: COPLINK Incident Analyzer
- Identify suspects quickly: COPLINK Face Match
- Analyze crime patterns: COPLINK Computer Statistics
- Regional data analysis: COPLINK Adaptive Analytic Architecture (A3)
- Identify suspicious activities: COPLINK Activity Correlation Technology (ACT)
- Intel management and data entry: COPLINK Intelligent Law Enforcement Actionable Data (LEAD)
- Secure two-way data exchange: COPLINK Inbound and Outbound Connectors for LEXS-SR
- Export data automatically: COPLINK File Exporters for N-DEx and COPLINK IEPD
- Data access for crime analysts: COPLINK Analysis Search (CAS)
- Search using mobile devices: COPLINK Everywhere
- Flexible deployment options
COPLINK can be deployed on premises and on a cloud environment:
- COPLINK on premises
Agencies that choose this deployment option are responsible for acquiring the hardware and software required to run the COPLINK solution that meets their needs.
Figure 1. shows the COPLINK modules that can be deployed on an on premises solution. COPLINK Detect and Administration are required modules for an on premises installation and the remainder modules are optional.
Figure 1. COPLINK on premises required and optional modules
- IBM COPLINK on Cloud
Agencies that want to avoid the expense and burden of maintaining on premises hardware to support a COPLINK node can choose to use the IBM COPLINK on Cloud solution. This offering provides a cost-effective mean to access all of the features and functions of COPLINK through a subscription service.
Figure 2 shows the COPLINK modules that can be deployed on the cloud offering. Detect, Administration, Active Agent, A3, Incident Analyzer, Visualizer are the modules included in the base cloud offering and the remainder modules are optional.
Figure 2. COPLINK on Cloud modules in the base offering and optional modules