Business analytics are no longer considered a nice to have option. Business analytics have become mission critical applications. Critical business insights gained performing analytics on IBM IMS operational data extends an already valuable corporate asset into helping make more informed business decisions. So, how do you tap into this core IMS business data and make it readily available for analysis?
IBM DB2® Analytics Accelerator for z/OS® enables you to exploit the IBM z™ Systems platforms IMS data where it originates. This solution makes it possible to access IMS data to deliver new insights that can improve efficiency and drive smarter outcomes.
Here are five questions and things to know about Accessing IMS Data for Analytics:
- What is IBM DB2® Analytics Accelerator for z/OS?
IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS is a high-performance appliance that integrates the IBM z Systems infrastructure with IBM PureData® for Analytics, powered by IBM Netezza® technology. This solution transforms your mainframe into a highly-efficient transactional and analytics processing environment.
- What are the benefits of DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS?
Key benefits of the DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS include:
- No application rewrites or new database designs are required.
- It uses simplified database design, resulting in no need for indexes.
- The effort to tune analytic queries is eliminated.
- The IBM DB2 for z/OS data security attributes are inherited.
- The High Performance Storage Systems (HPSS) feature improves access to and lowers the cost of storing, managing, and processing historical data.
- Latency is minimized.
- Fast deployment and quick time-to-value are inherent to the solution.
- How is the data prepared for analysis?
DB2 Analytics Accelerator Loader for z/OS V2.1. loads IMS data into DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS using these steps:
- Describe your IMS databases and their data layout by creating virtual tables or views.
- Build an SQL statement that selects from these virtual tables or views.
- Build a job to load the result set from the SQL statement into DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS.
- Execute the batch job to perform the load.
You would perform the first three steps using IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator Studio, a IBM Data Studio graphical user interface plug-in that ships with the product.
- What makes this solution better than other solutions?
While it is possible to extract and transform IMS data using other tools, the benefits of using DB2 Analytics Accelerator Loader for z/OS V2.1 include:
- A single tool for the entire process of extracting, transforming, and loading into the DB2 Analytics Accelerator
- The data is extracted from the source, converted to the necessary format, and loaded into DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS without landing or writing the data to any intermediate or staging files.
- The conversion of the data to the necessary DB2 and DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS format is performed in-memory and takes advantage of zIIP processors to significantly lower costs.
- DB2 Analytics Accelerator Loader for z/OS V2.1 operates where the majority of your data resides, that is on z/OS. This process avoids potential security exposures of the traditional method of copying and propagating data off of the secure z/OS platform.
- DB2 Analytics Accelerator Loader for z/OS V2.1 provides a fast and low-cost process to load IMS and many other types of data into DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS. This approach provides the ability to consolidate your entire enterprise data quickly and efficiently in DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS to gain better insight into your business.
- Because the DB2 Analytics Accelerator Loader for z/OS V2.1 user interface is simply a Data Studio plug-in, customers are already familiar with this and will find it easy to use.
- What types of data can the product tap into?
The entire process of extracting IMS data, performing data transformation, loading the data into DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS, and defining the IMS metadata into the DB2 Catalog can all be done using the IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator Loader for z/OS Version 2.1. DB2 Analytics Accelerator Loader for z/OS Version 2.1 helps simplify, speed up, and automate the process of loading non-DB2 data, including IMS data, directly into DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS. It can load data from many sources: IMS, VSAM, sequential files, IBM Distributed Relational Database Architecture™ (DRDA®) data sources, and Oracle with more sources coming in the future.
To learn more about taking advantage of IMS data for analytics , see the IBM Redbooks Solution Guide “New Approach to Analytics for IBM IMS Data”, REDP-5313.
IBM Redbooks Project Leader: z Systems HW, Networking, and Connectivity