Debug and Diagnosis IBM MQ issue with OMEGAMON 3270 UI and OMEGAMON XE Messaging 730
TianPF 270004TT64 Visits (5438)
This article shows the way how to use OMEGAMON 3270 UI to do problem diagnosis and debugging about IBM MQ issue. The Monitoring product is OMEGAMON XE Messaging 730 on z/OS agent.
Scenario: There are 2 qmgr on z/OS: M71A and M71B. Application use the SDR/RCVR channel A.B to transfer data from M71A to M71B.
Channel name: A.B
Remote queue in M71A: QRA
XMIT queue: QTA
Local queue for QRA: QLB
Debug and Diagnosis process:
1. There is an alert shows that the Queue Health is in critical state for M71A:
Open Current Queue Manager Status panel of M71A, User can find that the Total XMIT Queue Messages is increasing with time:
2. Move the cursor in front of 'Total XMIT Queue Messages' and press Enter:
User find that it is the 'QTA' XMIT queue that makes the 'Queue Health' alert of M71A, the depth of QTA is increasing with time.
3. Go and check the detailed info of QTA from M71A side:
This panel shows that the QTA is used by channel A.B and the SDR channel in M71A is running well. Move the cursor in front of A.B channel and type 'S' to check the detailed status for A.B channel:
In this panel, User can find that the reason which cause the Queue Health critical is because the RCVR channel in the remote qmgr M71B is in paused state, which makes the messages can not be sent to the destination and held in the XMIT queue QTA.
User find the reason for this issue. OMEGAMON 3270 UI not only has the capability to find out the root cause but also help user to resolve issue.
4. As the issue is in A.B RCVR channel of M71B, User need to go to M71B to check where those message is sending to:
5. From the qmgr health panel of M71B, User can see that 'DLQ Depth' is 298. Open the 'Dead Letter Queue Messages' panel by moving the cursor in front of 'DLQ Depth' and press Enter. User find that all the messages in the DLQ's destination is QLB and the reason for them not sent to the destination queue is that QLB is full.
However, User still need to confirm if the message in DLQ are caused by A.B RCVR channel in pause state.
6. Use the find command 'FIND QUEUE QLB M71B' to check the statistics data for QLB. This queue is full currently:
7. Check the detail information of QLB, User find that A.B channel is the one that use QLB:
8. At this point, the root cause for messages from M71A can not be transferred to M71B is that the destination queue QLB is full. User can resolve this issue with 3270 UI via the take action command:
ALT QL(QLB) MAXDEPTH(3000)
9. The maxdepth of QLB would be expanded to 3000 after the command successfully executed.After the queue full state of QLB resolved, the RCVR channel in M71B is back to 'Running' state. User find that the XMIT queue message become to zero now:
The issue successfully debugged and resolved by OMEGAMON 3270 UI and OMEGAMON XE Messaging 730.