UPDATE: As of November 2016, OMEGAMON Monitoring for JVM has now been superseded by IBM OMEGAMON for JVM on z/OS V540!
Today, we are delighted to announce a significant new offering that becomes an integral part of the IBM z Systems Management portfolio – OMEGAMON Monitoring for JVM. This lightweight, easy to deploy agent provides resource level monitoring and metrics of any online Java Virtual Machine on z/OS. From CICS JVMSERVERs to applications deploying a WebSphere Liberty server profile (such as z/OS Connect), you can now get clear, useful insights into the performance of the JVM to be alerted to problems fast, identify root causes quickly and respond effectively to reduce outages and maximize throughput.
OMEGAMON Monitoring for JVM allows a user to view side-by-side all JVMs running on a LPAR from a single agent. It will also auto-discover all online JVMs in seconds, meaning you can be clear on what is operating within a JVM and what subsystem it belongs to.
Diving deeper, you can use the data collected by OMEGAMON Monitoring for JVM to identify:
• Garbage Collection performance, including heap settings and utilization. Effectiveness of GC performance and time spend pausing for collections to occur.
• Threads and Locking details, highlighting blocked threads and dependencies. Indication on which monitors have been held and waiting for the longest time.
• CPU Utilization, indicating the amount of work run on general processors and offloaded to specialty processors (zIIP).
• Details within the JVM Environment, including system and environment variables that could be affecting performance, plus what has been specified on the CLASSPATH being used.
As with all OMEGAMON agents, data is collected and displayed across the user interfaces that provide appropriate flexibility and detail for intended users: operators can be alerted to, and provide immediate investigation through the Tivoli Enterprise Portal, while Java on z/OS experts can drill-down to perform fast root-cause analysis in the OMEGAMON enhanced 3270UI. Whatever user interface used, you can take advantage of standard OMEGAMON capabilities such as:
• Simple and fast deployment using PARMGEN configuration process
• Look back in time to pinpoint when problems started to occur with historical data collection
• Be alerted to abnormal conditions though product-supplied (and user customizable) situation condition checking and event generation
OMEGAMON Monitoring for JVM is offered as a priced feature of the OMEGAMON XE on z/OS product, which is an integral part of the Service Management Suite on z/OS, OMEGAMON Performance Management Suite on z/OS, and OMEGAMON z/OS Management Suite offerings of which updates have also been announced today.
Look out for more blogs, videos and information in the coming days and weeks to demonstrate the capabilities of the updated OMEGAMON portfolio. If you have questions in the meantime, reach out to us through this blog or contact your IBM advocate or representative.