Updated June 2017
Year after year, there is a renewed focus on doing more with less. Our clients are looking more than ever to consolidate and simplify their IT management solutions.
IBM MaaS360 resonates with our clients when we detail it’s unique unified mobility management capabilities across a wide variety of mobile, PC and Mac devices. MaaS360 was once again named a leader in the 2017 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Mobility Management Suites.
The following article outlines ten solution capabilities of MaaS360 which provide unique value and capabilities for clients of all sizes.
#1 – Fastest Time to Trust (Trial and On-premises components)
The MaaS360 solution is unique, in that anyone can easily start a production trial in just a few minutes. Simply go to www.maas360.com/trial and start a free 30-day trial of our solution. As part of the 30 day trial you’ll be provided technical assistance as you need it at anytime (via remote Webex or 24×7 chat service).
The trial is in our production service, so you can the validate how easy our solution is to use. When you wish to proceed as an active client, there is no additional migration effort or activation fees. Your account status is changed in a few minutes, it's that easy.
Likewise, the on-premises components are very easy to setup and configure. For the example the Cloud Extender is a small Windows executable (which can be downloaded from the MaaS360 portal). The MaaS360 Cloud Extender (CE) communicates outbound to our SaaS platform on port 443, so is very firewall and proxy friendly. You can typically install and setup the cloud extender in less than 30 minutes. The Enterprise Gateway is now an activated module as part of the CE, so also very easy to enable too.
#2 – Cognitive Insights
Made possible by the MaaS360 integration with Watson, MaaS360 Advisor delivers opportunities, risks and general information to help you make sense of the erratic endpoint behavior you encounter daily. Advisor sources insights from structured data, such as cloud-sourced content from MaaS360 customer environments, and unstructured data, such as information from the X-Force Exchange, giving administrators ample, relevant context to make their most important decisions.
Each insight is tailored to your industry, company size and the construct of your environment, including your devices, their platforms and their most commonly used apps. See the following article for further information.
#3 – Integrated Mobile Threat Management
MaaS360 is the only leading EMM with integrated mobile anti-malware capability. This includes anti-malware services for iOS and Android.
Threat Management detects, analyses and remediates mobile risks delivering a new layer of security (without the need of another application or system). Threat Protection leverages IBM Security Trusteer® using over the air updates to protect against:
- Mobile malware (iOS and Android)
- Suspicious system configurations
- Compromised devices
- Seek out hiders & active hiding techniques that try to mask detection of jailbroken & rooted devices
Below is a screen capture of malware being detected. Here is a link to a great video overview too.
#4 – Secure Container for iOS, Android and Windows Phone
MaaS360 Secure Productivity Suite (secure container) keeps your staff work services in one secure easy-to-use app. They can manage all their emails, contacts, calendars, enterprise applications and the web (+intranet) from an isolated workspace on their mobile devices.
This is great for BYOD and is available for iOS, Android and even Windows Phone ! The application is fully encrypted (includes FIPS 140-2 compliant, AES-256 encryption for iOS, Android and Windows Phone) so doesn’t rely on any device encryption or policies. This has expanded into Windows 10 PC with our Secure Browser.
#5 – Manage PCs (Windows 7 – 10) and macOS
MaaS360 has a number of unique PC and Mac Management capabilities, even for older operating systems as far back as Windows XP!
MaaS360 provides the following macOS management capabilities:
- Security and compliance, location information
- Remotely configure Wi-Fi, VPN, email profiles
- Apple DEP support
- macOS policy management
- macOS data protection
- Enterprise App Catalog (as shown below)
A complete list is features is available here.
MaaS360 provides the following Windows management capabilities:
- Customise policies, place restrictions and take actions on passcodes, hardware features like camera, activesync, Wi-Fi, VPN.
- Remotely wipe compromised devices of corporate data.
- Distribute Universal Windows Package (UWP) apps to desktops, tablets and smartphones.
- Secure the Windows 10 web browsing experience by restricting specific URLs and website types. Also grant secure and seamless access to enterprise web, apps, and content via IBM MaaS360 Gateway for browser.
- Enforce Windows Information Protection (WIP) to protect information across the network, content and apps including UWP, from the Windows Store, or those with .exe or .msi extension, as well as encrypt UWP app data and control restrictions on sharing external content.
- Gain insight – hardware inventory, antivirus and firewall status
- Deploy Windows OS patches
- Deploy Windows third‐party updates (such as Java and Adobe)
- Send a message to the device
- Lock the device
- Wipe the hard drive
- Locate the device
- Secure Browser for Windows 10
- Enterprise App Catalog (as shown below)
A complete list is features is available here.
#6 – Integrated Identity-as-a-Service (IDaaS)
MaaS360 is now integrated with IBM Cloud Identity. This provides all MaaS360 clients a range of capabilities including:
- Login with a Single Sign-On (SSO)
- Empower Managers to Control Access with Delegation
- Easily connect to 1000's of Apps with Connectors & Templates
- Enhance Security with Multi-Factor Authentication
- Gain Insight into App Risk & Usage with Dashboard
- Ease Hybrid Deployment with Integration
For more information on IBM Cloud Identity, please see the following link.
#7 – Multi Tenant Hierarchy for Mobile Service Providers (MSPs)
As mentioned in a previous post, IBM MaaS360 provides inherant multi-tenancy services, which provides the following services for a MMS organisation:
- Multi-Tenant Hierarchy
- Easily supports multi-channel model
- Easily onboard new customers/partners
- Single login to manage customers
- Dashboards and Reports
This is depicted in the following diagram:
The key benefit for MSPs (and large organisations) is the speed and simplicity in managing large number of devices with complete separation (client or division). The ability for an MSP to provide their clients a unique trial URL is very compelling. This allows an MSP's client to start a production trial in less than 3 minutes.
#8 – Leading technology integrations
MaaS360 provides a range of integration capabilities with IBM and 3rd party solutions. For example:
- Directory Services – Microsoft Active Directory, Open LDAP, Novell eDirectory, SAML, Open LDAP
- Email Systems – Exchange, Office 365, Google Apps, Lotus, Blackberry BES
- Certificate PKI – Microsoft, Symantec and Entrust
- Network Access – Cisco, ForeScout, Aruba, Bluecat, Juniper, F5, BlueCoat, Airpatrol, Aruba, Dell SonicWALL
- IT Service Management – ServiceNow, Continuum, LabTech, Spiceworks
- Content Repositories – Sharepoint, Office 365 OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, DAV, Connections
- Mobile App Platforms – Worklight, Xamarin
- Containers – Android for Work, Samsung Knox
- APIs – REST
- Security Information Event Management (SIEM) - QRadar, Splunk
- Single Sign-On - IBM Security Access Manager
- App Reputation - Trusteer (Integrated), Veracode, Appthority, Checkpoint
No matter what your IT environment, we’re sure to have you covered!
#9 – Integrated Mobile Expense Management
MaaS360 provides an integrated mobile device and expense management solution to track data usage across multiple service plans. This feature is called Mobile Expense Management (MEM). Further details on all the MaaS360 suites are detailed here. MaaS360 MEM provides the following key capabilities:
- Real-time data usage information
- Configurable thresholds and notifications to the user and management
- Manage multiple plans and policies
- Visualise usage trending reports
- Set in-network vs. roaming policies
With MaaS360 MEM, end users can be notified of approaching data usage thresholds, roaming status changes. Educated users are far less likely to incur costly charges for the company.
#10 – Readily Delivered MaaS360 Packages (Per device/Per User)
With MaaS360 clients pay only for what you need, when you need it: start managing a small group of users now, and scale upwards as needed. Clients can choose the license bundles they need, plus IBM can provide a fixed MaaS360 licensing in Australian or New Zealand dollar licensing. Both per device or per user (unlimited number of devices) is available.
With MaaS360, there are no large 'activation charges'. You simply pay for the bundles you need and we activate your account from trial to activated. This allows clients to rollout our solution without needing to change anything configured during the trial period. Further details on each of the MaaS360 bundles is available here.
Unified Mobility Management for the price of MDM
When we’ve outlined some of the above features with organisations, they recognise how MaaS360 can provide a very cost effective and powerful platform for their clients. Of course, if you would like to try out MaaS360, you can register for a free 30-day trial by going to www.maas360.com/trial.
If you would like further information, you can contact me via my blog contact page.
P.S. Original "Top 10" features no longer listed above (which are still good to know) are:
- MaaS360 can work alongside an existing MDM
- SaaS scalability and automatic updates & monitoring
- Flexible Branding Options - see here