First let me introduce myself. My name is Lisa Lasher, and I have worked on EGL and its predecessor products all my life (well, it seems that way). For many years I was a developer, primarily working on the preprocessor and generator components back when our development environment was on VM and MVS. Now I am the project manager, which means that I am involved with plans, schedules, release coordination, beta programs, and general whip-cracking.
Now to the current topic. One thing that I will be posting in this blog will be information about maintenance updates. This will allow you to get automatic notification when new fix packs are available, if you request a Post RSS feed for this blog.
Back on June 27 we shipped fix pack 220.127.116.11. If you have not installed it yet, you can get it from the RBD support download page: Rational Business Developer, Version 18.104.22.168 . This fix pack contains a lot of fixes, especially in the areas of Java generation & runtime, COBOL generation, page handlers, and validation, so everyone should install it.
We also included several small enhancements in this fix pack, in response to some customer requirements that came in too late to be included in the 7.1 release:
- The limit for the number of parameters for external call on System is increased to 75.
- CurrentSchema is added to column names in every SQL statement
- Arbitrary length restrictions for the Text and Hex variable types have been removed.
- Allow the prep=yes process to be run in a batch mode
- Debugger should always be able to find Java runtime DLLs
- The D.A.A.W. tooling does not keep underscores in field names
- zOS build scripts should ignore return codes from some job steps
- EGL generate COBOL is issuing system getmain/freemains on each function invocation instead of using Runtime Services
- Allow for the you to specify the qualifier/currentSchema for unqualified tables at runtime
- Provide ability to provide simple HTTP header authentication (64-bit encryption
- Support for labels for EGL Loops and the ability to use them has been added.
- Removed morphing exceptions from locally called
programs. Exceptions in remote programs continue to be morphed into
InvocationExceptions when passed back to the invoking program.
- New checkIndices build descriptor added to
allow for checking of array and substring indices to ensure they are in
the range that is valid for the variable with which they are being used
(index exception) and to ensure that dynamic array variables have been
initialized (null value exception).
- New values added to the positiveSignIndicator
build descriptor for the iSeries environments to improve performance.
The New values (F-ALL and C-ALL) allow a developer to request that the
value for positive sign associated with zoned and packed decimal types
does not need to be enforced.
- Added the EGLPREP Batch Command Utility to
monitor a folder and subfolders for any buildplan files generated into
it by the COBOL generation. If it finds a new build plan file, it will
start a new a thread which will launch the buildplan
We did have one glitch with this fix pack, which is that it has an install conflict with HATS. This issue was originally reported here in the EGL Cafe in the forum (thank you!). A fix is now available, so if you want to have RBD and HATS installed together, go to Interim Fix for Rational Business Developer, Version 22.214.171.124 and follow the instructions.