Although still in the "hello world" stage, I think ther are a few basic web functions that I can verify before moving into the more rarified world of business applications.
One problem with a language like EGL (or indeed any program generator) is the potential for lock-in. While it does a lot of things really well and really productively, you have that nagging feeling at the back of your mind that you're going to hit a wall somewhere, and that's when the proverbial other shoe will drop.
For example, you might want to incorporate some nifty widget from the outside world. Typically, this involves hacking the generated code, those hacks then get wiped out the next ttime you generate. This has been the bane of 4GL programmers forever. But EGL is supposed to be better than that - it's supposed to be designed with extensibility in mind. To that end, I used this version (V1R1) to see if I could take advantage of outside code.
To do that, I went to one of the roughly sixteen million web sites that allow you to create free hit counters, and I created one. I then added the generated HTML to my RUI page using the "HTML" widget. The results were expected: the counter works fine.
The new PIF file can be found on the See What i Can Do thread.