IBM Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS (ABO) V1.3 is now available.
ABO V1.3 optimizes previously compiled COBOL program modules to increase application performance and reduce CPU usage without source recompilation. It performs high-fidelity optimizations and generates code that fully exploits z14, z13 and zEC12 architecture without changing program logic or behavior.
Highlights in ABO V1.3
Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS V1.3 delivers the following enhancements:
- Improved performance of already compiled COBOL programs on the z14 server and z/OS V2.3 operating system
- Ability to exploit the new Vector Packed Decimal Facility of z14, delivering additional performance improvements
- Ability to generate optimized programs with additional performance gains on previously supported IBM Z hardware (z13, z13s, zEC12 and zBC12)
- Less memory and CPU resources required for the optimization process
- Inclusion of Installation Verification Program (IVP), BOZJIVP, to verify that Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS is installed correctly and is functional
- Delivery of a new tool, IBM Run Time Instrumentation Profiler, to help identify COBOL modules that are good candidates for optimization using the ABO
Supported operating systems
ABO V1.3 can be run on the following operating systems with applicable program temporary fixes (PTFs) installed. For details of the PTFs, see Program Directory for IBM Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS (publication number GI13-4513-03).
- z/OS Version 2.3
- z/OS Version 2.2
- z/OS Version 2.1
ABO V1.3 can optimize CSECTs within program modules that were generated by the following COBOL compilers:
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V4
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3
- COBOL for OS/390 & VM V2
- COBOL for MVS & VM V1.2
- COBOL/370 V1.1
- VS COBOL II V1.4.0 (LE enabled modules only)
- VS COBOL II V1.3.x (LE enabled modules only)
Target hardware levels
ABO can generate program modules for the latest IBM Z servers. ABO uses the same hardware numbering scheme as the COBOL compilers. The following table lists the hardware levels that are supported by ABO V1.3. You can use the ARCH option to specify which hardware level you want the ABO produced modules to target. For more details, see IBM Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS V1.3 User's Guide (publication number SC27-8545-04).
Supported hardware level
Generates code that uses instructions available on the 2827-xxxx (IBM zEnterprise EC12) and 2828-xxxx (IBM zEnterprise BC12) models in z/Architecture mode.
Generates code that uses instructions available on the 2964-xxxx (IBM z13) and 2965-xxx (IBM z13s) models in z/Architecture mode.
Generates code that uses instructions available on 3906-xxx (IBM z14) models in z/Architecture mode.
ABO V1.3 delivers additional performance improvements in the generated optimized COBOL programs. Areas of improved performance include programs with:
- SEARCH ALL statements
- Long or variable length MOVE and compares
- Multiply, divide and exponentiation operations compiled with VS COBOL II compiler
- Many sequential CALL operations
- Use of comp-1 data items and comp-2 data items
- Computations and MOVEs on decimal data types containing more than 18 fractional digits
- ARITH(EXTEND) option that have decimal multiply operations containing 30 or 31 digits
- Decimal divide operations on constant, literal or read only data items
- ON SIZE ERROR clauses
- All forms of decimal arithmetic specifically for z14 hardware by using the ARCH(12) option
ABO V1.3 is easier to use with the implementation of additional usability features. Additional usability features include:
- An Installation Verification Program (IVP), BOZJIVP, to verify that ABO is installed correctly and is functional.
- A new tool, IBM Run Time Instrumentation Profiler, to help identify COBOL modules that are good candidates for optimization with the ABO.
- More efficient generation of the optimized programs by using less memory and CPU resources than with ABO V1.2. This results in operational cost savings in the optimization phase.
- Generation of the optimized programs with additional reductions in CPU time, elapsed time, and service units that are consumed. This results in operational cost savings in the execution environment.
Optimized applications created with ABO are supported by IBM DevOps Tools for problem analysis across your development lifecycle, which include IBM Application Delivery Foundation for z Systems family of products:
- Developer for z Systems Enterprise Edition, which includes Debug for z Systems (previously known as Debug Tool for z/OS). Helps examine, monitor, and control the execution of application programs.
- Fault Analyzer for z/OS.
– Helps developers analyze and fix application and system failures.
– Gathers information about an application and the surrounding environment.
- Application Performance Analyzer for z/OS. Helps developers in the design, development and maintenance cycles with an non-intrusive application performance analyzer. Additional information can be found on the Application Delivery Foundation for z Systems website.
Trial editions of Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS are available with a 90-day evaluation license at no charge. The trial editions allow testing and evaluation of the benefits of optimizing your existing COBOL applications in non-production environments. The trial editions are available as either an on-premise installed trial or as a simplified cloud service:
- The on-premise version of IBM Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS Trial is available through IBM Shopz.
- The Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS Trial Cloud Service is a simplified version of the Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS Trial that does not require installation of the trial product.
For more information about the product, go to the IBM Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS marketplace page and IBM Automatic Binary Optimizer for z/OS documentation library.