I tried my first exercise in IBM BlueMix (a 'Platform As A Service' Cloud Computing offering from IBM) to build a chat application by following the steps in the below url.
Its very simple and it won't take more than 5 minutes to deploy and run the application.
To get started, you need to register in IBM BlueMix (https://ace.ng.bluemix.net) using an IBM id, example: email@example.com. The IBM id can be created by anyone and the user need not essentially be an IBMer. Its a trial version valid for 356 days for an ibm id (an id that ends with ibm.com) and its valid for 1 month for an external id. You will also get 1GB memory space to try things in Cloud.
Few days back, I also tried to deploy a web application in BlueMix using Eclipse Luna R. For more information on Registering in IBM BlueMix, Installing Eclipse Luna R and deploying the application, please visit the blog for more detailed steps:
Here are few basic steps to get started :
1. Install Eclipse Luna R version 4.4 (the downloads are available in https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/Luna/R). In Eclipse, from Help Menu - Eclipse Marketplace. Search for "IBM Eclipse Tools for Bluemix". Install the software, restart eclipse.
2. Create a new server of type 'IBM Bluemix' and create a web application (MalarWebApp) in Eclipse. In the MalarWebApp project, add a html or jsp file to WebContent folder (example: HelloWorld.html)
3. Add the Web project to 'IBM Bluemix' server. While deploying the application in server, Bluemix asks for your IBM id, password and the url to access your app. Specify an unique host (example: https://MalarWebApp.mybluemix.net).
4. Once the application is deployed, login to bluemix website (https://ace.ng.bluemix.net) using your IBM id and check if the application is started.
When I tried to deploy the application to IBM Bluemix server, I received an error Staging error [status code: 400, error code: 170001, message: Staging err ot get instances since staging failed]. The application was added to Bluemix server, but the application failed to stage. I did the following to resolve the staging error
1. Install the Cloud Foundry Command Line tools from https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cli#downloads
2. Open a command prompt and go to the directory where you find the cf.exe file. Example :
cf version 6.5.1-4aaf45f-2014-08-27T20:43:36+00:00
3. Export the web application in eclipse as a war file. Try pushing the application (which failed to stage in Bluemix) manually from command line.
C:\bluemix\cf-windows-amd64>cf login -a https://api.ng.bluemix.net
C:\bluemix\cf-windows-amd64>cf push MalarWebApp -p c:/bluemix/MalarWebApp.war -b https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack.git
Wait till the application is deployed.
4. Login to bluemix website (https://ace.ng.bluemix.net) using your IBM id and check if the application is started. In Bluemix dashboard, you should see the application status as "Running". Now, the application has started successfully. Access the application using url : https://MalarWebApp.mybluemix.net/HelloWorld.html