But what is the role of a group leader? Do you want to be a group leader? What does a group leader actually do? How can you be a better group leader?
It's up to you to define your unique role, but here's a list of ideas to consider:
- Create a plan for your group. Decide how much time you'll spend, what role you'll play.
- Introduce yourself to the group and share what role you'll play to help set expectations.
- Create a group charter. Define the purpose and goals of the group.
- Identify yourself as the group leader and make yourself available to answer questions related to your group topic.
- Check on your group regularly and welcome new members and respond to questions or comments.
- Welcome new members by writing on their profile wall, or inviting them to your network. Thank them for joining the group. Share what they need to know - key things happening in your group, group charter, etc.
- Add new features to your group. Depending on your group goals, you may want to add things like blogs, wikis, files, etc.
- Guide group discussion. Regularly post new topics or questions for discussion in the discussion forum.
- Coordinate any group activities, discussion, blogging, etc.
- Share information and post materials related to your group.
- Message (email) your group with important news or announcements.
- Grow the group - again, this depends on your goals for your group, but if you'd like a larger group, you can search for people with similar interests in My developerWorks and invite them to join your group by writing on their wall, or messaging them.
- Provide regular updates on what's happening in the group - for example, you could write a monthly blog post with a summary of new activity and highlights from the groups. This helps less active members stay informed, and helps new members catch up on what they might have missed.
- Facilitate networking in your group. For example, you could spotlight a member of the group each month. Or you could introduce different members of the group to each other who you think may benefit from connecting.
- Set guidelines for appropriate discussion and interaction in the group if needed. Make sure you're familiar with the My developerWorks Terms and Conditions. If you observe any inappropriate behavior, report it to My developerWorks Feedback for assistance.