Are you considering starting a wiki on My developerWorks
? Here are ideas and considerations to help.When should you use a wiki?
What could you use a wiki for? A few ideas:
- Use a wiki when you want to create a set of collaborative web pages that you can build and share with others.
Key questions to ask before setting up a wiki:
- A guide to resources on a topic
- Brainstorming solutions
- Sharing best practices, experiences and tips
Things to think about when setting up your wiki
- What's my goal for this wiki?
- What do I want to use it for?
- Do I want to build it all myself and share it with others? Or do I want to build it collaboratively with others?
- Do I want to share it with a selected group of people only or make it public?
- Do I want to make it a group wiki or a stand alone wiki? (Be sure to decide this before you create it. You can create a wiki from a group, but you can't move a stand alone wiki into a group later without having to recreate the pages.)
How to recruit others to help or make others aware of your wiki
- Give it a clear, short name.
- Tag your wiki with appropriate tags to make it easier to find.
- Write an introductory page, describing the goals and structure of the wiki.
- If you want to build the wiki pages by collaborating with others, be sure to clearly spell out how others can participate.
- Set up an initial structure or outline of the wiki that others can build on.
- Visit blogs, groups and other wikis with related tags, then contact people active around on those topics to let them know about your wiki and how they can benefit and participate.
- Let your colleagues and network know about your wiki.
- Link to your wiki from your My developerWorks profile page.
A few good examples of wikis on My developerWorks:Learn special formatting tricks you can do with your wiki on My developerWorks in the My developerWorks sample group
.Get help with wikis on My developerWorks: Help text
If you're interested in meeting fellow My
developerWorks enthusiasts, keeping up with the latest My
developerWorks news, and sharing tips and best practices for using My
developerWorks and social networking, come join us in the My developerWorks enthusiasts group