If you are leading a group, or participating in one, on My developerWorks, and you're looking for a way to improve the group, consider how you can turn it into a knowledgebase.
At a high level, there are several different values that a My developerWorks group can offer:
- Meet other people with similar interests
- Collaborate/work with other people on a shared goal
- Provide information - knowledge, resources, best practices - to people on a topic of interest
If you want your group to be more than a loose association of people, increase the value you're providing in one of these areas. Let's talk about a basic one: providing information. What makes someone bookmark a web page and come back to it time after time? When it has information that they need or want. By providing a source of valuable information, you can increase the value of your group. Even better, the format of a group lends itself to collaboratively building and sharing knowledge. So start thinking about how you can turn your group into a knowledgebase that people will rely on. Here are some ideas to get you started:
Have more ideas for making your group into a knowledgebase? Please leave a comment and share it!
- Start a group wiki - add things like resources, materials, FAQs, contacts, etc.
- Set up the basic outline of your group wiki - then email your group members and ask them to help build it
- Create compelling "start-up" content in your group, and particularly
the wiki (how-tos for the community linked to wiki docs, important
reference materials, past newsletters)
- Start a group blog - here are some ideas for group blogging
- Add regularly to group bookmarks
- Create the Important Bookmarks content (top right) to establish links to key sites
- Seed the blogs and discussion forums with relevant and contemporary content to spark opinion and contribution. For example : proposed events (linking to the wiki); some leading opinion blogs from significant community members/thought leaders, etc.
If you're interested in meeting fellow My
developerWorks enthusiasts, keeping up with the latest My
developerWorks news, and sharing tips and best practices for using My
developerWorks and social networking, come join us in the My developerWorks enthusiasts group