There are many ways to use the tools available in My developerWorks
. Here are some specific ideas that could apply to user groups:
- Create a virtual group that corresponds to your user group. See best practices for starting a group.
- Invite your user group members to join your virtual group - you can invite them by email from within your group.
- Message (email) the group with important information, such as upcoming meeting announcements.
- Link to other related user groups in bookmarks.
- Ask the user group to work with you to make your virtual group into a "knowledge base" related to your user group topic. You could use bookmarks, files a group wiki, and/or a group blog to share references, resources and tips gleaned from the user group.
- Create a specific tag that you can use for people who are part of your
user group and any content created related to your user group. Ask all the members of your user group to use this tag. This
will make it easy to aggregate all your user group people and content
under one tag.
- Use the discussion board to ask for feedback on upcoming meeting topics.
- Use the group discussion board, wiki or blog to post meeting agendas, materials and notes.
- Set up a group blog and invite members of your user group to blog. Learn more about group blogging.
Use your group blog to:
- Share user group news and announcements.
- Recap past meetings.
- Do a monthly update, like a monthly newsletter.
- Interview or spotlight members of your user group (i.e. "member of the month").
If you have more ideas or experiences related to user groups, please share!
If you're interested in meeting fellow My
developerWorks enthusiasts, keeping up with the latest My
developerWorks news, and sharing tips and best practices for using My
developerWorks and social networking, come join us in the My developerWorks enthusiasts group