Today I'm going to discuss some of what to expect from CMS in the Cognos 10.1 release.
Aside from general performance improvements and bug fixes several new features have been added to enable new applications and make integrating Cognos content even easier
These new features include:
- Dataset format: A new format to make consuming just the data easier by transforming report objects into simple tables of data that can be consumed natively by controls in certain environments or easily adapted to any environment where a table of data is useful
- LDX caching and reuse: Now you'll be able to run a report once and apply new formats and object selection filters, simplifying and improving performance for applications. For example, an application may need both an HTML representation of a report to display information and data from the report to integrate into application logic, which can now be done with only a single run of the report.
- Interactive paging: In previous releases the only option when getting a report would be to get the whole thing at once with page breaks shown in XML. Now interactive paging means less wait to start looking at the report as well as easier management of results in your application as each call will now just return a single page.
- New LDX prompting: Prompt pages are now available in LDX format giving the information necessary to display prompt pages in your application UI while still representing everything that a prompt page author created.
- Additional layout information in LDX: LDX now includes block and table layout elements that were authored in the report, allowing for representations that are nearly identical to what is seen when running the report in the native report viewer.
- Simplified drill and drillthrough use: New elements in LDX cells containing links to drill up/down on a cell and the parameters necessary to pass to a drillthrough make enabling these interactions in your application more straightforward.
- Atom feeds for Business Insight Objects: The CMS atom mechanism is available for the new Business Insight Dashboards in 10.1, allowing applications to get CMS resources for the contents of widgets that contain Cognos reports.
Several blog posts will be released over the course of the next few days describing these features and their use in greater detail.