Tips to upgrade an ITCAM-configured monitored WebSphere environment.
NoelLewis 060001F069 Comment (1) Visits (9292)
You have an older version of WebSphere (say, WAS v7.0.x.) configured with ITCAM for Application Diagnostics (WAS agent) v7.1.x. You are looking to upgrade your WAS version to the later levels WAS 8.0 or WAS 8.5.5.x or higher, but you are not quite sure how to do this with the ITCAM Data Collector already configured on it.
Here are some tips and the steps on how this can be done:
* verify the WAS level and ITCAM level on your current environment. If you are using WAS 6.x, WAS 7.x with ITCAM v7.1 and want to move to a higher WAS level (say WAS 8.0 or WAS 8.5.5.x or higher), then your best option would be to use ITCAM for Apps v7.2. (Note: ITCAM v7.1 will also work, but you will need to use the latest level: v126.96.36.199 or higher at this time.)
* you cannot just upgrade your WAS servers directly with the configured Data Collector on it. You have to first unconfigure the Data Collector.
* unconfigure your current WAS server(s) using the standard ITCAM unconfig command or from the GUI. (Note: Before unconfiguring, you may want to backup your WAS servers, as you probably have done some customizations to your server.xml file over the years.)
* unconfiguring the WAS server(s) will only remove the ITCAM arguments in the genericJvmarguments line of the server.xml file and remove the ITCAM environment variables from the variables.xml files - so its a good idea to make a backup of all the xml files in the <server> directory before unconfiguration.
* put back your WAS customizations if you have any, then recycle the server one more time.
* perform your WAS upgrades at this point, you can either upgrade to WAS 8.0 or WAS 8.5.5.x or higher with the WAS fixpacks if you so choose to do so. Both WAS v8.x and v8.5.5.x are supported versions at this time as long as you use ITCAM for Apps v7.2 Data Collector with the latest fixpack to monitor them.
* Once successfully upgraded, you will now migrate the already existing v7.1 of the Data Collector to the newer v7.2 Data Collector or if you prefer, you can simply uninstall the old v7.1 Data Collector directories, and inst
* if you have any customizations of your server.xml file that you used before or any Java heap tuning, put those customizations back and recycle the server. Look at the SystemOut.log logfile when the server restarts. To verify the server has been configured correctly, you can look at the genericJvmarguments line in the server.xml file (you should see ITCAM arguments in there now).
That's all there is to it. It may seem long to do, but its a fairly easy process as long as you follow the steps in order.
Note: The above steps are to upgrade a standard WAS server environment. If you are planning to upgrade your configured WebSphere Portal Server or BPM servers, the process is generally the same, but you will have to check the Clar
If at any point during the configuration you need help or have any additional questions, simply open a new pmr with IBM Support and we'll be glad to help you out.
APM / ITCAM L2 Support team
Subscribe and follow us for all the latest information directly on your social feeds: