ITCAM for WebSphere Messaging contains the following agents that you can install on distributed systems:
- ITCAM agent for WebSphere MQ
- ITCAM agent for WebSphere Message Broker
- ITCAM configuration agent for WebSphere MQ
On UNIX or Linux systems, you can install these agents with root or non-root user ID. Whatever user ID you used to install an agent, if you want to run the agent with another different ID, you must perform the following steps to change the agent file permissions before you can start and run the agent:
1. Log on as root to the system that the agents are installed on, or become the root user by running the su
2. Create a new group (for example, itmusers) to own all the files in the IBM Tivoli Monitoring installation directory (The default is /opt/IBM/ITM).
- Linux, Solaris, and HP-UX systems: groupadd itmusers
AIX systems: mkgroup itmusers
3. Add the user ID that you want to use to run the agent to the itmusers group. To do this, edit the /etc/group file and ensure that the user is in the list of users for the itmusers group. For example, if you want to use the test1
user ID to run the agent, ensure that the following line is in the /etc/group file:
4. Run the following command from the ITM_install
/bin directory, where ITM_install
is the IBM Tivoli Monitoring installation directory:
secureMain -g itmusers lock
5. Run the su
command to switch to the user ID that you want to use to run the agent or log on using that user ID.
- If you already installed IBM Tivoli Monitoring component on the system where you are going to install the agent, you must use the same user ID to install the agent.
- ITCAM agent for WebSphere Message Broker cannot be started and run by the root user. Even if you installed this agent as a root user, you have to perform the steps here and use another non-root user to run this agent.