IBM Smart Cloud Monitoring/IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Environments helps in cloning physical servers and virtual machines to perform an unmatched What-If analysis
SharmaJay 270005Q01H Visits (3013)
It is very important to evaluate how your current environment will perform when you add new workloads that are similar to the existing workloads in your environment. As an adroit administrator, you would certainly want to do this analysis before you really place the workloads in your environment.
IBM Smart Cloud Monitoring/IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Environments introduces a functionality to create clones of existing physical servers and virtual machines in the Capacity Planner. The cloned entries would have the same configuration and utilization profile as in the original entries. Here are the key benefits that cloning physical servers & virtual machines functionality in IBM Smart Cloud Monitoring offers:
Simple process to Clone physical servers
1. Start the Planning Center page for VMware.
2. Go to the Edit Current Environment page.
3. Click Actions > Clone Physical Servers
4. Move the physical servers from the Available Physical Servers list to the Selected Physical Servers list
5. Click Next and you would see the Clone Physical Servers window
6. Select a value in the Number of Instances field
Note: The number of instances indicates the number of clone entries for the physical servers that you want to create. The default value is 1.
7. Enter a value in the Clone Name Prefix field
Note: Each clone entry is prefixed with the string value provided in this field and with a unique time stamp value. The default value is Clon
8. Select the Copy Server Tags check box to enable the tags. If enabled, all tags for the selected physical server are copied to clone entries. By default, this check box is enabled.
9. Click on Clone button.
Similarly, you can perform the cloning of virtual machines too. To explore this feature yourself, sign up to our Open Beta program by following the instructions available at