ITCAM for Transactions - ISM - Q and A - PART 2 (Technotes based)
ericmtn 1000009W88 Comment (1) Visits (7841)
Here is a summary and compilation of some good DCF technotes that list some questions and answers regarding ISM agent environment.
This blog, PART 1, for reference:
4) ISM agent v7.3 to v7.4 upgrade with SDA (Self-Describing agents) enabled. What are the steps needed?
A) Use/check the current configuration of the SDA (Self-Describing Agents) mechanism on the TEMS/TEPS, so the ISM new application support is deployed automatically on TEMS, TEPS. You can refer to the following IBM Knowledge Center documentation links:
- ISM agent and SDA, using self-describing agents:
- ITM 6.3, self-describing monitoring agents:
B) If you are planning to install new fresh ISM agent version 7.4, as well as upgrading old ISM 7.3 agent, install new ISM 7.4 fresh agent first.
C) Upgrade your existing ISM 7.3 agent to version 7.4
- If you are planning to use recent OS version for your new ISM agent, like for example Windows 2012 R2, you need to install and use ISM 18.104.22.168 (not ISM 22.214.171.124);
- Don't forget to install ISM v126.96.36.199 application support on all your TEP client systems as well. Application support is not automatically applied to the Tivoli Enterprise Portal clients. You can refer to "Installation of support files" chapter :
- An Application support event - new indicator is displayed on these clients to tell the user that they need to recycle their client to apply new or modified application support.
- If you are using the Tivoli Enterprise Portal desktop client, you must use the monitoring agent's installation images to install the Tivoli Enterprise Portal application support on each of the desktop clients.
- If you are using the Tivoli Enterprise Portal browser client or Java™ WebStart client and you have the required user permissions to view the updated application, after the indicator is displayed, you can choose to close and restart these clients to see the new updates.
- Clear the java cache on your TEP client systems before accessing the TEP GUI after your upgrade is complete.
- Generally speaking, after the ISM application support has been deployed on all TEMS (hub and remote) and TEPS, it's safer to restart all these components (TEMS/TEPS), but not mandatory with SDA.
- SDA function is only supported on ITM IBM Tivoli Monitoring version 6.2.3 and later. So make sure that your ITM (TEMS/TEPS) environment is already at right level, or upgrade it.
- ISM 74 prereqs ITM 6.23. fp3 at minimum, or ITM 6.30 fp1, click on the 'Prerequisites' tab of this web page :
This clearly was allowed in the older ISM versions (pre 188.8.131.52), however ISM 7.4's data validation would only allow IPs in that field. Once change of those host values to the IP addresses was done using TEP ISM Configuration GUI, this resolved the issue with the profile, and allowed its deployment against the ISM agent system(s) without causing them to go out of sync any more.
The check for the DNS server being an IP address was not included in some early ISM v7.3 code, so if using ISM version pre v184.108.40.206, the DNS server could have been set as a hostname.
Part3 : http
Subscribe and follow us for all the latest information directly on your social feeds: