IBM Business Analytics Proven Practices
Business Analytics Proven Practices: Pagination for RAVE visualizations used in IBM Cognos Report Studio
Product(s): IBM Cognos Business Inteligence 10.2.2.x; Area of Interest: Reporting
This content is part # of # in the series: IBM Business Analytics Proven Practices
This content is part of the series:IBM Business Analytics Proven Practices
Stay tuned for additional content in this series.
This document describes steps to provide pagination feature in Cognos BI 10.2.2 Report Studio for RAVE visualizations when report is executed.
IBM Cognos Business Intelligence 10.2.2 and higher versions.
Readers should have good knowledge with IBM Cognos Report Studio 10.2.2.
Setting up Pagination property
The pagination property is available for all the in-build objects like lists, charts and crosstabs but when it comes to RAVE visualizations, there is no ready-made property enabled. Hence when the rest of the report data spans across multiple-pages, RAVE visualizations are limited to the first page and leaves a blank empty space on subsequent pages.
With this document a report authors will know the how to implement pagination for visualizations used in a Cognos report.
In this example, the Sales namespace under the Sales and Marketing (analysis) folder of the GO Data Warehouse (analysis) package is used.
Note: Before we start, first you must have imported the visualizations in to the Cognos library. If this has not been performed, then download the All_Visualizations.zip package from the Analytics Zone community.
- In a browser, login to the IBM Cognos BI portal.
- From the Launch menu, click on Report Studio.
- In the select a Package window, select GO Data Warehouse (analysis) package.
- From the splash window, click on Create New and select Blank report. Click OK.
- Click on the toolbox tab and drag the visualization object to the report page.
- When the Visualization Gallery window pops up, select the Bar Visualization from the list and click OK.
Figure 1. Visualization Gallery showing the Bar chart visualization in the list which is selected
- Click OK in the Object and Query Names box.
- Open Query Explorer, select the visualization query (Query 1).
- Drag the following items to the Data Items section from the Sales
and Marketing (analysis) folder.
• [go_data_warehouse].[Sales and Marketing (analysis)].[Sales].[Products].[Products].[Product line] • [go_data_warehouse].[Sales and Marketing (analysis)].[Sales].[Time].[Time].[Year] • [go_data_warehouse].[Sales and Marketing (analysis)].[Sales].[Sales fact].[Revenue]
- In the Page Explorer, select Page 1, click on the Data Item tab and place the data items to the visualizations.
- Drag Revenue to the Size box
- Drag Retailer Name to the Categories box
- Drag Year to the Series box
Figure 2. Shows the bar visualization on the report page with data items filled in the container
- Go to Query Explorer and click on Queries.
- Copy Query1 and paste it back to the section. This will create a copy of Query1 as Query2.
- Double click Query2.
- From the Source tab, click and drag [go_data_warehouse].[Sales and Marketing (analysis)].[Sales].[Products].[Products].[Product type] under product line.
Figure 3. Query 2 data items container with Product Type added
- In Page Explorer, click on Page 1.
- In the Data Items Tab, click and drag Query 2 below the visualization. This will create a list.
- Move the Year column at the beginning of the list then click on the Year header and click the Group button.
Figure 4. Shows the list with Year column positioned to the left and grouped
If we execute this report now we will get a bar chart and a list report which will look like as below.
Figure 5. Report output showing the bar and list chart
But if we click on Page down or Bottom to navigate to next page we find only the list, whereas the bar chart is missing. So to overcome this we can perform the following.
- From the Toolbox tab, drag a List to the left side of the visualization on the report page and assign it Query2. Click OK.
- From the Data Item tab, drag Revenue from Query 2 to the new list.
- Select the List Column Body property of Year and set the Box Type property to None, as we don’t want it to be shown in report output.
- On the menu bar, click the Lock\Unlock button to unlock the report.
- Select the visualization and drag it to the List right by the text item word Revenue.
- Delete the text item Revenue.
- Select the List and go to the Pagination property and check the Repeat Every Page checkbox.
Figure 6. Pagination property is selected for the list and Repeat every page option is checked
Now run the report and you will see that the visualization will stay on every page when you go through the pages.