IBM XL C/C++ installation on IBM AIX 7.1
This tutorial describes the installation of XL C/C++ version 11.1 on the IBM AIX 7.1 operating system.
Figure 1. Finding XL C/C++ on the IBM software download website
If you are not an IBM employee, you can find a trial or demo version.
However, this version is not supported for AIX 7.1. IBM released a fix for this problem, which can be downloaded from the IBM Fix Central website.
Figure 2. Searching for the IZ84777 fix
Perform the following steps to complete the installation:
1. Log in to the server where you want to install XL C/C++, and download the following packages:
Note: There is no operating system (OS)-specific prerequisite required for this installation except these two packages.
2. Extract the XL C/C++ package in a directory.
#mkdir vacpp #mv vacpp.220.127.116.11.GA.aix53TL7-61.tar vacpp #cd vacpp # tar -xvf vacpp.18.104.22.168.GA.aix53TL7-61.tar #cd vacpp/usr/sys/inst.images
3. Start the installation with smitty.
Figure 3. Starting smitty using the command line
4. smitty installp
Figure 4. Installing the Software
Figure 5. Selecting the device or directory for the software
Note: Here we entered . because the installation files are in current directory. If this is not the case, you need to provide the path where the /usr/sys/inst.images directory is located.
Figure 6. Selecting the WPAR installation device
5. Preview this installation first to check that the installation files are downloaded completely and that they are not corrupted.
Figure 7. OK indication for installation
6. It should display OK. Now, press Esc+3 or F3 to go back to the previous screen.
Figure 8. Preview only option set to no
7. Make a note that we changed option for Preview only to no for installation.
Figure 9. Final screen
8. Press Esc+0 or F10 to exit the SMITTY menu.
As we know that this installation is supported only in AIX 5.3 and 6.1, we need to apply a fix for our installation.
Go to the base directory where we have copied or downloaded vacpp.111.aix53TL7-71.january.2012.ptf.tar.Z and perform the following steps:
9. Extract XL C/C++ (fix pack) in a directory.
#mkdir vacpp-fix #mv vacpp.111.aix53TL7-71.january.2012.ptf.tar.Z vacpp-fix #cd vacpp-fix # uncompress vacpp.111.aix53TL7-71.january.2012.ptf.tar.Z # tar -xvf vacpp.111.aix53TL7-71.january.2012.ptf.tar
10. Generate a .toc file in the directory by using the
11. Start the installation using the
smitty install_all command.
Figure 10. Final screen
12. Use the directory in which the installable file is extracted. Use . if you are in the same directory. Otherwise, use the directory path.
Press Enter to apply the fix that we downloaded for AIX 7.1 support.
Figure 11. Final screen
Note: Sometimes, this installation might fail due to the missing prerequisite for IBM debugger. But, not to panic as we already have installed IBM debugger in our base package installation.
After the completion of this installation, we need to export the path so that every build script is referring to xlc_r in /usr/vac/bin and not anywhere else.
Now try to run your build.